Maybe some one can point me in the right direction. Earlier this spring I had problems getting the engine started. It turned out to be ice in the fuel feed line at the bottom of the tank. I sucked out as much rusted sediment as I could, flushed again and drained that, put in new filters, cleaned out the water separator. The engine starts up nice but has dead throttle for a number of seconds while you pump the throttle. then it jumps up in revs as in nothing wrong but once its back to a steady slight rev, it goes dead throttle again every time. By dead throttle, I mean its running but wont rev up. Once it does rev up, the throttle works and revs perfectly. The exhaust is burning clean and smooth. This is as it the intake air filter is clogged badly but its not. I took the 2 air filters out and its the same problem without them. The fuel lift pump appears to be working as far as its priming is concerned. Could it be the fuel lift pump or most defiantly the injection pump is toast? It has good power when your into the throttle up hills but the low revs seem to drop in power time to time. It sounds like a injection pump but I'm hoping some one has an idea of a simpler fix. Also, rebuilt pumps can be notoriously poor in quality. Anyone know of a outfit that is reputable in their rebuilt I pumps? Thanks for any help. This old 555E is a perfect property machine. I cant live without it.
Contact thepumpguysc on this forum to fix your pump
This sounds exactly like my issue I had a year or so ago on my 555e. You need to entirely take apart the sediment bowl and clean it out along with all of the banjo fittings. I’ll find the post and put it in a message here. The crud that’s inside of those will make it act like it’s starving for fuel.
Read this forum. 555E Fuel Issue Hello folks. I hope everyone has had a wonderful winter season and all is doing well. What brings me to the forum today is the result of me being an idiot! About 2 weeks ago, I was out at the property digging stumps and noticed when I would push or pull a stump, my RPMs would go from... HeavyEquipmentForums
I fought with this when I first got my machine. It all needed cleaning as you have done but the final clog was in the banjo fitting attached at the water separator. I also added a small engine filter at that fitting for an early warning system. After a few changes of that it has remained running. I change it every so often just to stay on top of it because one of the small engine filters came apart once.
You guys may have just saved me from taking the I pump off this afternoon! When I cleaned the sediment bowl, it had ALOT of crap in it. I'll be cleaning the banjo fittings today for sure. The tank cap was blocked last year but I took it apart and cliped the vent valve spring a little shorter and that got me to where you could easily suck the valve open. That problem didnt really show a running problem. But when I went to put fuel in the tank, loosening the cap, I got a vacuum sucking sound when the cap came loose. Man, I hope those banjo's are the issue. I'll be back.....
Found the problem. My 555E was made in 97 as a 98 model. It was pre banjo bolt fuel line fittings. The only banjo bolt fitting was on the primer lift pump. It used straight threw fittings that had a rubber type gromet inside the line nut. The line nut screws onto a brass fitting with O-ring seal. My problem was one of those gromets was letting the I pump suck air past the gromet seal. I took all those old fittings off except for the filter to pump fitting line and replaced them with JIC fittings that I turned the JIC threaded end into barbs for soft 5/16th rubber lines. It was a fast job on the lathe. Fired up the engine and ZERO dead petal now. just like the issue never happened. Aparently there was a reason why they went to Banjo fittings. And I found out the reason thanks to you guys! Many Thanks. Be Well my friends.
Thanks for reporting back! Those rubber grommets are also on our machines. They are called olives. They were used in general diesel industry, not just by Ford/NH. They were notorious for letting air into the system. Below is an example. Pardon Our Interruption...
When I had to redo a few of them a couple weeks ago I was too cheap to buy the eBay ones I did before. I ended up buying a piece of fuel hose from Napa for 3 bucks and made my own. They were thicker than the eBay ones and my biggest issue was cutting them small enough width wise so I could screw the fitting back on.
I think the barbs are a great upgrade if you can use a Lathe. The fittings are 2 bucks at my hydraulic shop a piece or $1.85 at Surplus Center. They are JIC 4 - 5 SAE The port looks like 1/4". I didnt measure that. Here are the 2 I didnt use on the filter out and I pump in line. Its like 2 minutes on a 6 jaw scrol chuck, spin off the JIC threads and leave the nose diameter as is. Perfect push on OD for 5/16th hose. They come with O-rings. A clap-it forget-it solution "if" you are handy on a lathe.
Well I bought the eBay rubbers and they were much skinnier than the ones I removed. I ended up cutting fuel line too and used the wheel grinder to taper so the nut would fit around them nicer. Edit: weird thing is nobody seems to carry them. They don't show on the diagrams when talking to the parts people. Its suppose to be between 8 & 5/on this pic .
What we did the first time was double up on them. That gave us the ability to seal with no issue for going in 2 yrs.
I have another thread somewhere with a part I used. The small seals for a 70s Bosch D Jettronic fuel injector fit the lines on my 575E perfectly.