Hi, I'm new at this so please bare with me. I started in the wheeled portion so I will try here to get some advice. I have a case 580B that I started a project to replace the the bank of valves that operate the boom with wobble stick valves. I found a Case 480B with joy sticks at the junk yard that looked ok. I also pulled the stabilizer valve and installed the both of them in the 580. I hooked everything up and now I can only get the stabilizers to work. When I try to engage the boom the hyd pump dead heads. I have the supply going to the stabilizer valve port that is marked BYO (power beyond). I called coleman and was looking for a sleeve for that port but they said they did not show it on their parts list. Now I'm thinking I should have plumbed the supply to the boom valve and then to the outriggers? Can anyone help?
Sparta, you're way past me already. I'd say give the switch you described a try; if it reverses the effect, then maybe its a pump power problem or the plumbing just isn't compatible with what you want to do? Good luck.
Did you notice the machine you removed the parts from in the bone yard was a 33 hoe with a single boom cylinder. I think your hoe has two boom cylinders which will be a 35 hoe. You oil travels thru the stab valve from the pump pressure line to the rt hand side of the backhoe valve sitting in the seat facing the rear. The lines coming from the bucket, stick, boom, swing have to be paired up to each valve section one top and one bottom. If you crossed a line you could lock the cylinder up, say your boom up is correct with the line coming from the boom cylinder, but boom down line is run to a bucket or stick function line you will hyd lock the system with no return flow from the down port of the boom cylinder. I will try to look at a 480 plumbing also but recheck you cylinder hoses in the meantime. I think you are going to have to change some relief pressures also.
Thanks sheep foot I'm going to check my unit to-day. The hoe at the bone yard did not have a boom it was just the cab,should I look for a serial#? I was told it was a480b but now I'm not sure.
Thanks for the response JBP.
Hi sheepfoot i talked to the bone yard people. the machine was a 480e and you are correct it had one cylinder on the boom. Will be checking my line connections and will let you know. Thanks again.
Hi sheepfoot I checked the lines and I do have crossed lines to each valve. Is the first valve on the right (sitting in the seat facing the rear) the boom valve, or it does not matter as long as I have them paired up correctly going to each valve. It looks like I have that first valve crossed with the jib and the bucket. If you can send me the hose layout I would surely appreciate it. I'm going to get my buddy to help me identify each hose. I must have been day dreaming when I first hooked them up. It has just taken so long to get this far. Thanks again.
Do you have extenda-hoe on you machine.
Hi sheepfoot no I do not have an extenda-hoe. I got all the hoses paired correctly and still no movement on any function on the boom. I have good supply and return. When I engage a valve the motor labors but no movement. I tried bleeding the system by cracking each cylinder and still no luck. I dissconnected the stabilizer valve and went right into the supply side of the valve,( I thought possibly the power beyonf port was bad on the stab. valve.). I had a buddy with me and when I moved any of the boom valves and i had the return disconnected hyd fluid came back out from the return forcefully. After 10 more gallons of hyd fluid I'm getting desperate. Any ideas?
Sparta since the stabilizers works, and on the boom the motor labors it sounds like there is either blockage somewhere you haven't found yet or there is an incorrect connection. You dont have an extra hydraulic cylinder you can use to check each pair of hoses? Or can you swap lines somehow from a stabilizer to the boom to confirm the boom is good?
Thanks, JBP its an idea. you are right it seems as though there is blockage somewhere. I have taken the hyd filter out, and the quick dissconnect out in the return line and still no power to the boom and the pump labors. Logically I'm having hard time believing that all 4 valves to the boom are bad. I should get at least one function to work.
sparta20, the valve should be stacked sitting in the seat from left to rt, boom/swing/bucket/stick. You mite try to go to the casece parts lookup site. click on parts, then type in your 480E, and enter, it will come up a list, hit the hyd section, then on the rt side look at section 8-006 and 8-014. I looked a 580E and sitting in the seat facing the rear, pump flow goes in the rt of the stab valve, top port left of stab valve to lt hand side of backhoe control valve, rt hand side of control valve returns back to the lower left of stab valve, back to tank.
Hi sheepfoot, thanks for the info. I did not have them hooked up in that sequence. I will get everything put back and reroute to your sequence. One question I have is the supply hooked up to the right side of the valve (sitting in the seat facing the boom) is this correct? I looked up the case parts schematic and it shows everything as you are looking from the boom to the front. My thinking was the smaller inlet is always the supply and the big one is the return on the valve.
Help anyone, I have tried everything to get the boom to move. I have not been able to get one function to to move let alone work. Checked everything twice all lines hooked up properly. Pump is working, loader works good and stabilizers work. Is it possible that every spool is bad on the boom valve? Is it possible this 480 valve is not compatible with the 580c pressures.
Well lets try something else. Bleed all the pressure of the hyd system by moving your levers around, on the backhoe control valve you have your inlet, then the sections for the work sections boom/swing/bucket/stick for example, then the outlet section. On the outlet you should have a large plug fitting, this is the regeneration spool. I have a feeling that it is stuck, unscrew the plug, spring, spool, pilot spool from bore and look for scoring or sticking. Also could be rag material, dirt dobber nests. It would take around 400 psi to open from pressure in the parallel passage to open this valve to allow the oil to return to tank. If your old valve has a outlet like the valve in the machine I would screw it out first to see how much spring force is on it, seems like a good bit, so be ready, the remove the parts and look at them. Pressure wise that 480e valve Boom up B port 2500-2700 psi, A port boom down 800 psi, Dipper/bucket A and B ports 2500-2700 psi, swing A and B ports 1325-1375 psi. The 580B boom B port 2550-2650 psi, stick and bucket A and B port 2550-2650 psi, boom A port 775-850 psi, swing 2550-2650 psi and late 1700-1900 psi, cross over swing pressures 1000-1550 psi depending on s/n and control valves on all. Hope this helps a little more.
case 580 boom issues Hi sheepoot, thank-you for the return. Sheepfoot just to double check with you the return has a one inch line and the supply a 3/4 inch line. The only plug that I can see is under the 3/4 inch line it looks like about a one inch plug with an allen head bolt. Sitting in the seat looking at the boom the supply is on the right and the return on the left, is this right? I did bleed all the valves as you said and even cracked the lines going to each cylinder and when i did that got very little air and very little hyd fluid while the valves were being moved
The end section sitting in the seat is on your rt hand side. The plug may need a allen wrench to loosen and tighten. If you can go back to the 480E parts page, hyd section 8-078, idem #2 in the pic, end section, parts 3/4/5/6/7/8 is what I would check. Other than leaks what problems did you have before doing the swap out?, was the boom leaking down any?.
Hi sheepfoot, I did not have any boom issues before the swap, just wanted to make the unit more user friendly by adding wobble controls. I did not keep a diagram of the old valve, but it seems to me now that I have the supply going to the wrong side of the valve. If I understand your posts the supply on the 480 valve is on the left side sitting in the seat facing the boom.