Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B Clutch Pedal

War Eagle ยท 2012-02-28 17:54

Our 580B has good power and response with the hydraulic shuttle, however the clutch pedal is slow in releasing......actually have to help along by pulling it up with your foot at the underside. I have cleaned out and checked all the spools in the valve body on top, new spring for the pedal return....it is still slow in coming up to the fully engaged position. Any ideas on what I can check are appreciated.....I have gone ahead and hooked an additional spring to the pedal to help and that works.....it just doesn't seem to be the "right" approach. Thanks for any feedback.

Replies8
  1. #1Leon Phelps2012-03-11 22:36

    did you grease the pivot point? there should be a grease fitting on it.

  2. #2War Eagle2012-03-12 07:45

    Sure did, the old tractor seems to have been taken care of fairly well......as all the grease fittings are "working" and it did not take much grease before it started coming out. The spring is working well.....seems that the more I use it the better it feels. But I do believe that we may have a clogged pick-up screen in the torque housing......some whinning and some foaming in the oil.

  3. #3shocker2012-04-09 23:55

    Hello I am new to this forum. Hope you don't mind me jumping in. Did you just leave the extra spring on your clutchor did you find something else?

  4. #4shocker2012-04-10 00:05

    The reason that I asked about the spring is that my 580b clutch does the same thing. Still trying to figure it out. Makes it kinda hard to move in tight places.

  5. #5War Eagle2012-04-10 12:45

    Shocker, it is working so well that I just left the spring on the clutch pedal. It's a "light" spring, just enough to pull the pedal up. Not sure if it is my imagination, but the pedal seems to be working better after just using / working the tractor some......I may have to take the spring off just to see how well it is working.

  6. #6dwloop2012-04-10 17:09

    Shoker, another think to check is the link to brake pedals. There should be a cross shaft and link that depresses both brake pedals when the clutch pedal is pressed. This was missing on mine, when I replaced it the brake pedal springs were enough additional return to bring the clutch pedal up... It now works great... HTH, Dave

  7. #7mikey12012-04-10 20:02

    Welcome Shoker, Glad to see another with a 580B ive just bought one and am going through all of the problems as with alot of others here have done. Now I just need to find that thread about the screw on the starter that leaks and how that was fixed lol

  8. #8shocker2012-04-10 23:51

    Thanks everyone I will check the brake spring, see if that helps. Also look at another on the clutch peddle. My 580 started leaking like a sive between the torque houseing and the engine. The two upper bolts were finger tight. Tightned them up and now it leaks for a second or so then stops. I hope it didn't take out the gasket between them. I haven't heard of the bolt leaking on the starter. I need to keep plugging away at the little things. I don't know if anything here has been said about a grinding sound as the rear wheels turn under a load. I don't notice it a as bad just driving it. I greased the outer bearings after I found the grease zerks. That didn't seem to make any difference. I haven't found this anywhere else. Hope you all don't mind me kinda jumping in here. I haven't been able to post new threads. Thanks