Hello, I have a 1976 (approximately) Case 580B backhoe that is leaking crankcase oil into the transmission. Can anyone tell me if it is a relatively easy fix (like replace a seal whre drive shaft links motor to tranny)? I assume would have to break tractor in half. Could it be something else beside an internal seal? Also Does anyone have a schematic or link to service manual which would show this kind of detail? Once enough motor oil leaks into the tranny the shuttle stops working. After draining some oil out of tranny shuttle works again. Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks Oztim
Well camshaft freeze plug, main rear engine seal, seal retainer at crank, flywheel bolts, think there is also a drilled port with a plug at the rear of the block, thinking out loud quickly. How much engine oil have you been going threw. You can go to a casece site and look at the parts brake down for your machine to veiw the engine and trans pages.
Thanks for the reply sheepfoot - there is obviously several ways the engine oil could be getting into the tranny that you have pointed out. Do you think that anyone place is more likely then the rest? I will try to get to a case site to see if I can come up w/ a parts breakdown - this would give me a much better idea how this all ties together. Hard to say how much oil I lost to the tranny - the old girl doesn't get used all that much. The last time I used it I suppose I ran for a couple days getting logs out of woods and some backhoe work when all of a sudden it would no longer move (happen to be climbing a hill with a rather large log and I thought I had done her in). but once tranny oil level was drained down (and engine oil added of course) away she went again. Come to find out that this had been happening to my father (God rest his sole). I probably drained out a gallon to a gallon and a half if memory serves me to get the tranny level back where it was suppose to be and then shuttle worked again. Thanks Oztim