Picked up a 75 580B which is my first backhoe, that I need to do some matience. I've done a good amount of research on here and I have the service manual & operators manual (thanks John) and I can not find some information. First Fluids: I want to do a complete service/fluid change on the machine and based on what's posted here can someone please!ease confirm; 1) Transaxle runs 17 Qts of 85W/90 gear oil what's best for theconfusion1975 metals....GL4. Or GL5 ? 2) Shuttle fill is the hex nut just below the deck plate, just in front of the shifter? 2-A) And it runs ??? Quarts of TCH or Case Hytran Ultra? (Is there anything else that is good to run in here, I see people running TS traveller premium?) 3)I have a 4 speed manual with no hi-lo, I believe this is called a power shuttle and it has a torque converter and the Torque tube pick up? Is the fill for torque converter the same as the "torque tube resivor? And is it located some where else or is it the "shuttle" fill in front of the shifter? 4) Is there a problem, or will it create problems, running standard hydraulic fluid for the hydraulic system? If standard hydraulic fluid is ok, what fluid should I run 38, 46, or 68? Backhoe operates in winter 15-20*F on the low end and 80-85* on the high end. Also the whole system is 24 gallons with 11 gallon in the loader arms resivors? 5) What coolant should I run in the system? 6) What fluid should I run in the power steering system? 7) What is the belt pulley system and what fluid should I run in there? 8) Can I (is it recommended), run Shell Rotella T5. Synthetic, 5W-40 in the motor? 9) I'm going to run With on all the oil and air filters, what's best for two fuel filters Donaldson or Baldwin?
in regards to #2 above is this the shuttle fill?
I've never worked on a 580B, but on later models the torque converter/shuttle transmission is ahead of the main transmission and will have a dipstick/fill tube similar to that of an auto trans on a car. On those models its located in the engine compartment. The converter/shuttle is the one place you really need to run the proper Case TCH fluid, do not run any TSC brand or other cheap hyd fluid. Any regular GL4/5 80w90 is fine for the rear axle and any decent quality hydraulic fluid is fine for the hydraulics. I run Mobile 424, JD Hygard, or Kubota UDT. The cheap TSC traveler stuff is ok here, but it's not going to have as good of additives as the better stuff (seal conditioners, etc). Engine oil I'd run Rotella 15w40 conventional, with the age/hours it probably wouldn't like a thin synthetic like 5w40. Not sure on the power steering system and in a backhoe application you won't have a belt pulley. I just run the standard green Prestone coolant in all my older stuff. Hopefully someone with a 580B can come along and help with the actual fill port locations, etc.
Here's a picture of the left side of the engine compartment. Is the TC filler tube some where in here?
Would you run T4 (dino) 15W-40 in 15*F temps, it's kept outside without a block heater. They also have T5 syntheric 10W-30, but I figured 40 would be better for the summers.
Yes, that's what all my older diesels get and our temps range from -10F to 90F. Just let it warm up for 10-15min in the really cold temps. Shuttle/TC fill tube is usually on the right side of the machine, again just guessing on yours as it's earlier than any I've dealt with.
Closest case dealer is 260 miles round trip but John Deere and New Holland both have dealers close. Is there a John Deere or Ford/New Holland fluids that will work as a GOOD substitute for TCH or Hytran?
New Holland have Hytran ultra packaged for there own dealerships.
Yes, New Holland Mastertran Ultraction is the same fluid as Case IH Hytran. It is not the same as Case TCH but close, should be fine.
So I have a manual shuttle with a 4 speed (no high low), does this set up even have a torque converter?
As far as hydraulic fluid for the hydraulic system. Is Chevron 424 better than AW46? And is there anything else the hydraulic system powers other than the hydraulics (loader, boom, stabilizers), in other words it's a sealed system that only powers/feeds the cylinders?
So you have a clutch pedal you have to use to shift the shuttle? Hydraulic system only powers loader/hoe, not sure on using the AW oils in it, I've always used tractor hydraulic fluid because that's what I have.
Yes I have to depress the clutch/declutch to shirt the in to different gears.
Torque converter/power shuttle with 4sp transaxle in regards to #2 above is this the shuttle fill? Yes
Crawled under the machine and took some pictures to verify drain ports. 1) these 2 drain nuts are for the shuttle and torque converter. 1 on front of bell housing and one on rear/tail of transmission/shuttle housing...correct? 2) one on right rear of transaxle housing is drain for transaxle? 3) there is a fill plug on the top right of the bell housing what is this for? 4) When I drain the shuttle, how do I drain the torque conver too so I can empty the whole system instead of just doing a partial fluid change?
You are correct on the drain plugs. The one on top of the bell housing is for timing marks on flywheel. The torque converter in enclosed in the torque tube, (that is what the forward plug drains). So you can't do a total drain. The middle plug is right under the F/R clutch packs. The rear plug is the transaxle (90wt).
You might find a larger drain plug below the torque converter. Once that is removed/drained, rotate the torque converter till you see a drain plug on it. That is how the older ck's worked and the B's I think are the same
Just re-read your earlier post about a clutch. If you have a dry clutch Pretty sure there is no torque converter. One way to tell if you have a shuttle or dry clutch machine is if you have a gauge on the dash that says converter pressure or something like that. When you step on the "Clutch" pedal that gauge will change if you have one. Pretty sure, No gauge means dry clutch
I have a pressure gauge on the dash and it does drop when I depress the clutch. From what I understand both models have torque converters to decouple from the crank, one is a manual Shuttle which shift between gears and one is a "power shuttle" which shifts gears like an auto trans.
The manual vs power shuttle only refers to forward/reverse, none have power shift on the main transmission (like an automatic). Even the torque converter/power shuttle models you have to manually shift the 4spd transmission. With the power shuttle you just let off the throttle and flip the lever to go forward/reverse, even while moving. Manual shuttle you have to push the clutch before moving the forward/reverse lever, and I believe you should be stopped or close to stopped.
You have a power shuttle
Dry clutch has no torque converter and has a hi/lo shift lever on the floor
That is the power shuttle control valve, upper left with the small plastic line going to the manual pressure gage in the dash. Pic#3
Good to know. Not 100% sure how mine operates, it's new to me and I've driven it very little. I did clutch it and done to almost a complete stop but that process would work with either system. I'll look in to it further. Thanks
The clutch pedal on the shuttle shift is only to shift transmission gears and it only seems to work when stopped. Unlike a car/truck it doesn't seem to allow you to change gears while moving, the gears just will grind if you try to change gears while moving.
I think you're right. After some research I think I have a power shuttle as I have 2 nipples on the bottom of the radiator and according to Broken tractor manual shuttle models have NO nipples on the bottom front of the radiator. Power Shuttle Radiator for Case Backhoe 530CK, 580CK, 580B (Torque Converter, Gas or Diesel) Radiator for Case 530CK, 580CK, 580B backhoes with torque converter transmission. Gas or diesel, 3-row core, oil cooler fittings. Part A39345. Order from Broken Tractor. www.brokentractor.com Non Power Shuttle Radiator for Case Backhoes without Torque Converter Find an OEM quality radiator for Case 430CK, 480CK, 480B, 530CK, 580CK, and 580B backhoes. Fits machines without a torque converter. Replaces part numbers A39344 and A35604. Weight: 29 lbs. www.brokentractor.com Mine
Looking to but fluid for the power shuttle/torque tube. Last week I could get HyTran Ultra (Akcella) and this week it seems all the case dealers only have HyTran Premium (Shell). What's better to run the Hytran Ultra or the Hytran Premium since the machine is so old, 1975 580B? Thanks