Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580D flex plate to torque converter alignment tool CAS-1153

Rick Frye · 2025-03-21 20:45

The Case 580D service manual calls for an alignment tool part number CAS-1153 when installing the flex plate to the torque converter. This tool seems hard to find as the company that made it appears to have went away around 2005. Checking on eBay for many months has resulted in no listings for said tool. It is supposed to be necessary to get the flex plate correctly centered on the torque converter. In looking at the picture of the tool I was wondering if anyone has tried to 3d print a version of the tool. The precision of 3d printers is very accurate and there is no stress on the part as it is just used for locating the plate to the converter. Just wanted to get opinions or see if anyone has actually done this. If it has been tried what were the results?

Replies11
  1. #1Billrog2025-03-21 20:51

    Did one using a piece of broom handle then mic it to be within 4 thou. at the time installed a new pump as it wasn't a lot of money.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-03-22 07:28

    We had one member make his own out of aluminum I believe. You can search here, I already did and couldn’t find it. Yes, you could make your own, with a 3D printer, especially if you have dimensions. When I did mine and one of my friends, it was real easy to set up a dial indicator around the tabs. The biggest problem I had was, as you tighten one bolt, it throws 2 other bolts out. I may have a longer learning curve than some (DUH) but after a few times it was apparent, how to figure the tightened effect for each bolt.

  3. #3Rick Frye2025-03-23 19:56

    Here is what I came up with after careful measuring. The final project will be printer with a PETG filament with nearly 100% infill. The original tool only appeared to go through the flex plate and stiffener plate. I increased the length to allow for protrusion into the threaded holes in the torque converter, this resulted in what should be exact alignment.

  4. #4Eric a1cnc2025-06-01 12:34

    Good Idea. I don't have a 3d printer. I was wondering if you would share your dimensions? I need to align my torque converter too and might be able to cobble something up TIA

  5. #5Tinkerer2025-06-01 14:00

    No special tools are need. Alrman and Coy have posted the way to do it. I used their method and have put hundreds of hours on the engine with no problems. Read this -------- HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6Simon C2025-06-01 20:55

    Tinkerer thanks for finding and posting that fix. I read the whole thing and squirreled away a few good ideas on how to do. Thanks Simon C

  7. #7Eric a1cnc2025-06-01 21:17

    I decided to do the caliper method. Measured 4 directions and got it within a couple thou. Next I put it on the flywheel and with a dial indicator was able to dial it down to .005". Hope that's good enough because the shuttle is back in it now

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-06-02 07:41

    That’s how I did it and it works fine. Can not help with the wires though.

  9. #9Grambo2026-03-07 13:52

    Please if you still have the file can you post it here so I can make one I do have a 3 D printer Thanks

  10. #10Rick Frye2026-03-20 21:06

    Here is the ready to print file for the gauge.

  11. #11Rick Frye2026-03-22 09:01

    Excuse my spelling, STL is posted.