Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B gauge on hydraulic filter housing

jj94tt ยท 2016-11-07 13:47

Hi again. The gauge on the hydraulic filter housing is completely clouded to the point where I can't even tell what it is intended to read. Is this a hydraulic pressure gauge or a filter condition gauge? I think it was a standard part of the system, but I can't find it on any parts diagrams. What should I replace this with? Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2016-11-07 16:09

    D29650 GAUGE - filter condition indicator Have to find the 35 backhoe parts book, backhoe was an option back in those days apparently.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2016-11-07 17:40

    Last discussion we had on those, the conclusion was, there are a ton on ebay.. cheap..

  3. #3lantraxco2016-11-07 17:47

    Huh, not seeing it TPG, is there an alternate number or description?

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-11-07 17:51

    To be honest, I didn't look it up.. but when the guys were doing their 580B rebuilds, that's where they got them.. I KNOW where you can get one or the P# tho.. DALE at tractor stuff. 1800 428-8183

  5. #5Grady2016-11-07 18:49

    If it's the same as the CK, it's a color coded gauge. Mine is so clouded you can't read it but I never bothered to change it, I just bought a bunch of filters instead. Filters on those old ones are pretty cheap and the oil is usually questionable so change them regularly.

  6. #6jj94tt2016-11-08 09:47

    Thanks for the info guys. I now understand that it is a vacuum gauge on the pump side of the filter that measures the filter resistance via suction pressure. Maybe I'll try one of the generic ones for the heck of it. Thanks!

  7. #7jj94tt2016-11-08 12:03

    I see the problem is that the color coded gauges are for different pressures. 10, 12, 15, 20 psi, etc... for filter service. I wonder if the original one has numbers listed on the face or is it just colors?

  8. #8lantraxco2016-11-08 12:05

    I do not believe that's correct, should be on the pressure side of the return filter, trace the lines. The pressure end of the filter connects to the loader valve, the outlet goes direct to tank.

  9. #9jj94tt2016-11-08 12:45

    Ahh... so, it would read positive and increased pressure if there is increased resistance in the filter. So, reasoning through this... the tank is vented to atmosphere and the filter should ideally have a marginal pressure drop across it, so the pressure side of the filter (the loader valve side) should not be a very high-pressure at that point. That gauge would be more effective if it read the difference in pressure on each side of the filter, but as it is only reading on the higher pressure side, it must be calibrated to the normal return pressure. A generic gauge would have to be carefully selected...

  10. #10lantraxco2016-11-08 17:56

    I don't know about the filter in these machines but typically the bypass valve in the filter will open at 25 psi....