Hi guys, I currently own a 580CK with the 159 gas engine and model 33 loader and hoe. A guy 4 miles from my house is selling a 580B with the 188 diesel and shuttle shift. Appears to be the next generation loader and hoe. Model 34? Anyway, machine starts easy with no starting fluid and purrs like a kitten. No smoke except white smoke while attempting to fire. Blow by was minimal when running. Everything is there, including a full cab with good glass. Missing some linkage pieces to connect the shuttle shift direction selector but the valve body is there and can moved manually to select forward and reverse from under the fuel tank. I did this to ensure it moved. Also missing some linkages for the accelerator pedal and rear diff lock. Where I’m going with this is, would this be a superior machine to what I have? Is it worth buying over the original gas 580ck I have? I need to repack 4 cylinders immediately and it will need some bushings. They are leaking very badly. All the hoses are intact, but with a little hot fluid and pressure I think I will lose a couple as soon as she’s working hard. Also the hour meter is long dead. No idea of the hours. I can pick it up for under 3000. Is it worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Doug
the 580b is a stronger machine. It would be a nicer upgrade. I would buy that B for that price if its in the condition you say. Think of it this way sell the gaser for 2k and buy the other for 3? I think its a no brainer.
For that price with a Shuttle and no real obvious issues besides hoses, repacking some cylinders and some linkage work, I doubt many on here would pass it up, I wouldn't either. Just be aware that every cheaper piece of equipment can come with things just waiting for the next guy to uncover. Still, for that price and even then needing to do half that cost in work on it it's still a real good deal.
Thank you for responses. I truly appreciate it. I feel the power difference without even using the machine for work. Price is fair, and I could probably scrap it and part it out for the price. The pit in my stomach is coming from the fact that I know my 580CK is thoroughly gone through and works the way she is intended. I am going to be starting the whole process over again with figuring out the “hidden” problems as they come to light. I feel like I shouldn’t pass this up, and man it is exciting to get a new toy. I will keep you all updated. Thanks again.
There is a lot of useful information about the 580B here ----> http://www.tractordata.com/industrial-tractors/000/1/0/103-ji-case-580b-engine.html
Thank you for the link Tinkerer. So I worried myself half sick trying to figure out if I wanted this project, and my wife TOLD me I was buying it. She said I was foolish to pass it up because it’s cheap for what it is. I agreed and bought it. Pics will be up when I get it home in the next two weeks. Old gas 580ck will be sold after this 580B is up and running correctly. I still want to hear from anybody that can enlighten me on this model. I have heard this 188 engine is know for wrist pin problems and I have heard the loader is built a bit weak and liable to crack in places. Any thoughts are very much appreciated. Thank you , Doug.
Hey Doug, did you get your throttle linkage sorted out? I have a 74' 580B and while operating the machine the cross throttle shaft sheared in half. It's part #A37264, the shaft that is slotted and all the linkages rotate on. Easy fix however extremely difficult to get at. Pulling the shaft would be easy if it weren't for the linkages being attached to the shaft with lock pins through the slots. Do you have any advice for this? Thanks!!!