I have a '99 580L series II with the Carrero 4 speed transmission. Earlier this summer I noticed it starting to engage slowly in both forward and reverse after about a 5 mile road trip . I changed oil and filter and continued to use it. It became worse as it warmed up and especially if I ran it hard up the road. I went to use the machine today after a day of use yesterday and noticed it was was sluggish in the higher gears and was having trouble engaging a pile even in first gear from a cold start and once warmed up as well. No different forward or reverse, but it does move with no load, however it engages very soft now, you cannot even feel the shuttle engage. It will slip on a steep incline as well. I have read through a few threads that talk about a snap ring that fails in the control valve and I have ordered a kit to try that since it is simple to get at. I figure it would be good to have the updated ring unless it was corrected by 1999 anyway. I was wondering if I could get thoughts on next steps. Since it is sluggish/appears to have started slipping in both directions I am suspecting the charge pump, I do not have the gauges and adapters to test pressures. If I pull the trans am I better off replacing the converter, pump and rebuilding the clutch packs so I have all the bases covered? This would be lower cost than getting the dealer out with the gauges anyway. With the low hours I do not think a full bearing replacement is worth it at this time. It does not look horrible to get the transmission out. I am a little worried I may have toasted the clutch pack if it is slipping, although oil is clean and does not have a burnt smell. Any other thoughts on what to chase down? Engine is reaching full rpm and electrically everything seems fine Thanks, Keith
I received the snap ring kit today and swapped it out. All is good now. The ring was broken but still in place which made it fun to pick out. There was a piece of it holding the piston open slightly. I am going to dump the oil and check the pickup screen to make sure no bits are there and should be good to go. I am very glad I found this forum and other's posts were able to guide me in this direction. One thing, I would hate to have to replace that new ring, it must be a challenge to get out.
Could you post a part number for the kit?
368437A2 is the bare kit and 368438A2 is the kit with the tools. It is available aftermarket and was about $200 cheaper than Case wanted.
Did you get the kit with or without the tools?
With the tools. basically a thin tube with a taper at the beginning that guides the ring in as well as sets height and a pusher. Could be made if you have access to a lathe. I would not want to try to install without the tools as it would probably damage the valve body bore. The original snap ring had ears to use a snap ring pliers on, the new one is just a heavy C ring. goes in and never comes out again in one piece, make sure everything is in order before you snap it in, although I think you could pull the innards from the other side if you need to. It is on the side that has the cap with the 4 allen bolts.
@Keith K did the valve kit repair your problem? You still need advice?
Yes, it is all set now, thanks. I was worried that the clutches were potentially damaged from slippage, but it engages nicely with no slippage and the oil is clean/no burnt smell, so I will run with it. I did not run it long with that condition. Thank you for your prior threads on this topic which were extremely helpful. Keith
Good news & your welcome! If it was using Case Hy Trans oil, it does get a really bad smell about it if it has been in there for a long time. If it drives OK, just leave it alone. I have seen those transmissions seriously abused for all sorts of reasons over the years & they continue to run.