Hello looking at a helluva deal, but the head gasket is blown, head removed, owner says that cylinders may need resleeved and new pistons. Basically an in frame rebuild. My question is how likely is it that it just had a bad head gasket and just needs put back together correctly. And if it does need a full or even partial rebuild, how big of a project would it be. I currently do not know if motor is siezed, or what kind of wear I'm looking at on cylinder sleeves, but if she turns over and the ridges are not to big I would be ok with just doing the head gasket, unless there is some unforseen issue, owner mentioned the possibility of O-rings being bad on sleeves, but was not sure as he's only had the machine 2 weeks.
I'm not a Case guy but I'm also not sure that the B model had wet sleeves. If it has sleeves replacing them in-block would be easy enough. I would suspect there is more to the story then what the owner is saying. The head has been removed and is just sitting there untouched; For how long? If it was just a head gasket I see of no reason why the prior owner just didn't put another gasket on it. Bet there are more problems then is being let on about. How are the other fluid levels?
Yes that sounds too good to be true!!
What I've been told... is that some other prospective buyer pulled the head to examine and then passed on the deal, currrent owner has only owned it a short time. I won't see it in person until later this week, weather and natural disasters dependent. I'm not scared of a little work, and I'm fairly decent at wrenching, what I don't have is an enormous amount of time for a major project, or any experience with sleeved cylinders. I just hope they didn't lose all the bolts and scatter everything about.
I'd take feeler gauges or inside micrometer (you know better than me), and see what you can see inside, then slap it back together and start it up to test the drivetrain and hydraulics (leave the radiator cap off). Buying a backhoe that "needs a head gasket" is kinda like buying a car that "just needs a starter". Unless you know and trust the seller, or you're Italian or Russian, then there's not much you can do when that turns out to be the least of it's problems. You might be able to see the damage to the head gasket, or cracks in the block or head, exhaust oiled up, pistons burned/worn, bore scratched, water jacket rusted/plugged/more messed up than you want to deal with. Can't hurt to look.
Yeah I plan on dragging my telescoping gauges along (if I remember...). Visually, I'll be looking for massive rust in the cylinders, water in oil, oil in antifreeze, etc. Cracks will hopefully be visible if any. Otherwise Its going to be guess and by golly. Asking price is a little over 3k, pictures look like a very straight machine, minimal surface rust, no frame cracks, good tires. There are ways to fix just about anything, its just a matter of whether or not you have the money and time, I'm short on both...
If it has the 188 engine it's a wet sleeve engine. IF it's getting water in the oil it could be the liner O rings are shot/leaking. There about $8-$10 a pop as I remember. You'll need 8 of em and a gasket set to change. Takes one real long day or a couple shorter ones if you don't find any other bad stuff while looking. Could also be one of three freeze plugs in the top of the head leaking. They are the only thing separating water and oil in that spot. If the head has any of the hardware missing it's a pita. There's a hollow bolt in one rocker stand that feeds oil to the rockers. It has to be there and in a certain location. There's a serial number break on the 207 engines. Not sure of the location on the 188 engines.
Look real close between each sleeve for cracks .As I said before in another thread unless the machine is running ,you could be looking at other problems . transmission , hydraulics , bushings , and the list goes on and on .If no cracks the engine is probably the easiest to repair . I would look for somthing running at least you will be able to see everything working , and then get some opinons.That machine is getting close to 50 years old .