Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B hydraulic problems

digger70 ยท 2014-07-07 11:24

Hi, I'm a cemetery caretaker and the cemetery bought a used 1974 Case 580B CK Backhoe in 2009. Yesterday I was digging a grave and the hydraulics weren't very responsive. I would pull the lever to lift the boom up and nothing would happen for a few seconds then I would hear a screeching sound and the boom would jerk up a few inches then stop. I had to use one lever at a time. It took 90 minutes to dig the grave which normally would have taken 30-45min. Hydraulic fluid leaks out of the swing cylinders and the boom will not stay in place when going around turns. Hydraulic fluid also leaks from different seals. Do you think replacing the seals will fix this?

Replies10
  1. #1Delmer2014-07-07 12:29

    No, unless it's low on fluid and you keep it full after the seals are replaced? It sounds like it's low on fluid, but if the fluid is fine then check the suction side of the pump for any leaks (air leaks in).

  2. #2digger702014-07-07 12:41

    Ok, I put fluid in it prior to doing the gravedigging. It's not until it's actually under load that the problems occur. I can move the levers and everything works but as soon as I start digging then there's no power. I have no idea where the suction side of the pump is. If I did, I probably wouldn't be here asking questions in the first place.

  3. #3digger702014-07-07 12:52

    Then I also discovered today why the fuel is low when I go to use it, it's dripping from the lock valve. Turning off the valve seemed to slow it down. Anyone know of a good place to get parts? Coleman has the lock valve for $193.

  4. #4Delmer2014-07-07 12:53

    I'll assume that the fluid level was correct. With that information, I'd look at the coupler between the front of the engine and the hydraulic pump (but I'm NOT a CASE guy, so I could be wrong). If you can't figure out where the suction side of the pump is, or if there's a problem with the coupler, then it's time to call somebody or start studying. Ask away, there are lots of guys here with CASE expertise who can walk you through it, but it helps if you can walk to start with

  5. #5digger702014-07-07 13:01

    Thanks. Well I had to load fill dirt for someone on Friday and I filled it then with a couple gallons and had no problems, so unless it leaked out in 48 hrs then maybe it was low. Or maybe it was already low and I didn't fill it enough. There's no gauge that shows me the level. I know the reservoirs hold 5.5 gallons each. The seals do need replaced and I have someone who can possibly do it and there's other options of varying expense but we're trying to keep it minimal due our nonprofit status. I'll tell the guy about the suction side of the pump. I'm not going to go under it and start pulling hoses off.

  6. #6Delmer2014-07-07 14:00

    Based on your post #3, disregard my first post, except that the seals won't fix it. Unless somebody better comes along, I'm suggesting your pump drive coupler is stripped out, which might be obvious by looking at it or it might need to be taken apart, or at least looked at closely while running and putting load on the pump.

  7. #7digger702014-07-07 15:51

    Ok, thanks Delmer!

  8. #8digger702014-08-06 18:07

    We had the backhoe taken to a garage to be serviced and got it back today after a couple of weeks. Haven't had a chance to dig with it yet. They fixed the hydraulic and fuel leaks. Now the left brake is locking up again. It's been a while since I had that problem. Hopefully they can fix that since it's a major annoyance. When I press the brake, the left wheel locks up and doesn't come free until I operate it in the opposite direction that I was traveling. Also they set the low idle too high.

  9. #9melben2014-08-07 20:42

    It is very easy to add oil to those machines and not get it full, the reason is the upswept loader frames and the fact that both sides fill from a common point. The proper way to fill it is to add oil till it is at the fill hole level then go to the front of the frame where the two bolts fasten to the front wrapper at the radiator and remove the 1/4 " pipe plug and let the air escape, that is why the plug is there. Repeat till the oil level stabilizes at the fill hole. The oil also has to transfer across to the opposite frame via the tube that goes from frame under the tank. I have had customers tell me how much the hydraulics firmed up when properly filled. I would not be concerned with the coupling, it would be rare for one to slip then drag enough to power the hydraulics, generally if a coupler fails you are dead in the water right now. Of course there can always be exceptions. Mel.

  10. #10digger702014-08-07 21:28

    Thanks Mel. I dug a grave today and it works much better. Just got to get the brakes and idle fixed and we'll be good to go.