My 1975 580B has an enclosed cab and under the left side there is a feed hose comming off the housing right in front of the injector pump. The line goes to the rear left side of the cab under the floor plate and is tied together with another line (not sure if there plumbed in a loop or dead headed),that returns to the block plug just behind the fuel filters (see picture). I assumed this was pluming for a cab heater and the return line is plumbed in to the block where they tell you to put the block heater. I need a block heater to keep things from freezing up as it's stored outside and it got -9F without the wind chill last month. So...my question is how do I plumb both the cab heater and the block heater and is how it's plumbed now, is how a cab heater is orininally plumbed?
So after some more research, the other hose comes off of the back of the water passage tube off of the side of the water pump. This line and the line comming from the 3/8 NPT port on the fuel pump side of the block (pictured above) are both dead headed right now. If I connected them in a loop, which way would the coolant flow? If I wanted to keep these lines to re-install a cab heater down the road, but still run a circulating coolant heater (instead of a block heater) I should run the circulating heater on these lines? This is what I'm looking at https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/kats-engine-heaters-circulating-tank-heater-1-500w How will this circulating heater pump work compared to a traditional block heater? Thanks
If you decide to go with Kat's heater read instructions thoroughly and make sure to mount so all air is purged from heater before plugging in or it will get nuked immediately, happened to neighbor. I had one in operation for about a month on my C and it burned up as well, opted for in block heater, been heating flawlessly for 8+ years. Don't know what you have for power but would suggest GFCI for whichever heater you use.
I did go with the kits tank heater in 1,000 watts, $50 on Amazon. Sounds like good advice, something I didn't think about. I'll read the instructions and yes I have a plug close by that is GFCI.