Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b loader/backhoe

Mpat70 ยท 2020-02-16 00:22

Hello friends, I have a '75 Case 580b loader/backhoe. I just rebuilt my Outrigger cylinders and now I have no hydraulics to loader or backhoe? I repacked Forest cylinder last night and hocked it up and it lifted the tractor just fine. I repacked the second cylinder today and now I have no hydraulics to either the loader or backhoe? Any ideas?

Replies6
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-02-16 10:45

    Hydraulic tank full ? Check the hydraulic pump shaft, see if it is turning with the engine running.

  2. #2Mpat702020-02-19 05:40

    Hydraulic pump is turning and was low on fluid. I changed hydraulic filter plus we fluid and she is digging again. Thanks

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-02-19 10:34

    Great ! Thanks for letting us know. Too many times members spend a lot of time helping someone only to never know the outcome of the problem.

  4. #4Mpat702020-02-19 20:22

    Not a problem. I do have another question though: what type of fluid do I use in my powers steering in case 180B with g188d engine? I've read different threads on here and I've read 90wt gear oil (umm not falling for it); I've read plain power steering fluid (not sure) and tch same as for my shuttle shift (this seems like close to the viscosity of the milky crap that flowed out when I changed my filter)! History: just purchased this 1975 Loader Backhoe 2 weeks ago. Not familiar with these at all but decided to go for it as it only had a couple leaky cylinders that I can re-pack, need all new hoses (which I found a Eaton crimper with dies for $500 to make my own), bad fuel injector and won't go in reverse at 4th (but I'm not really harping on that). This old girl has been road hard and put away wet her whole life so I'm hoping to restore her good enough to damn up a small gulley and make a Bass pond plus tackle stumps and such. I'm not mechanically inclined at all but I'm pretty good at reverse engineering if someone can tell me what wrong. Anyway, thanks for any info you can offer

  5. #5Gilbert6032020-02-21 07:38

    Power steering is the same as the hydraulic reservoir, I use 85-405 from Napa because it says it's Case Hy-Trans compatible which is what the service manual says to use. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FHQ85405?partTypeName=Hydraulic+Fluid&keywordInput=hydraulic+oil

  6. #6Mpat702020-02-22 16:34

    Thanks Gilbert