Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Replacing my Ford 4500 with a 575D?

Armymutt ยท 2020-02-16 16:42

I'm looking at selling my '67 Ford 4500 TLB and buying a '93 Ford 575D. I'm not a trained operator. This will be used mostly for clearing away trees and brush, and other chores around the 18 acres of land I have. I found this one locally and will check it out tomorrow if I get a chance. Anyone see any issues? https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...3-new-holland-575d?ST=north+carolina&CTRY=usa

Replies16
  1. #1Tags2020-02-16 18:34

    Those machines are pretty tough and are fairly straightforward to work on, it looks pretty straight, the only major thing I see is that the backhoe boom has been plated so it's been cracked and the repair "looks" proper but it's hard to tell. I'm also fairly certain that the Ford backhoes weren't known for cracking without severe abuse/misuse but more education folks on here will chime in I'm sure. If they have maintainance records that would be great, if not you're gambling on what kind of maintenance the machine has had....

  2. #2Bls repair2020-02-16 19:00

    Looks like it had a lot of problems with rear boom and dipper making me think it was abused

  3. #3Armymutt2020-02-16 20:28

    Ah, yes I see that now. This one is a lot further away. I wouldn't be able to check it out before buying it. Is 8000 hours high? https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...ment/for-sale/187797381/2000-new-holland-575e

  4. #4Billrog2020-02-16 20:54

    For your use I don't think 8800 hrs is high & from the pics doesn't look abused . Hopefully it's been maintained.

  5. #5Tinkerer2020-02-16 21:42

    the Ford looks really beat up. The dipper was replaced and the floor of the backhoe bucket is pounded in somewhat.I would pass on that one. Hour meter readings are meaningless for a variety of reasons. If you canot do or get someone to inspect any machine don't. Read this thread about how you can get screwed over on a sight unseen purchase. HeavyEquipmentForums

  6. #6Willie B2020-02-16 21:49

    Maintenance is everything! A 3000 hour machine that was not well maintained is equivalent to an 8000 hour that was. I use mine as a welding positioner. It idles hours between moving inches. In the north a diesel might idle all day to keep things warm. There are other things to look for. Engine oil color is important. A lot of carbon in the exhaust stack. Oil leaks on the ground. Run it. Annoy the seller with how long you operate it. Move every function as much as you can. Lift it high on the stabilizers, wait to see if it settles. Lift all the buckets as high as they reach, wait to see if they settle. Move every pivot to see how much wear is in each. Will it dig robustly? Inspect all hydraulic rods for damage. Hydraulic cylinder barrels want to be blemish free outside, a dent in the tube might cost a thousand dollars. Drive up a hill after it is thoroughly warm. Does the torque converter slip?

  7. #7jimg9842020-02-16 22:47

    has lots of horsepower with a turbocharged engine, have to run at higher RPMs to get max horsepower, with that boom extended with high rpms making things worse, don't you want this

  8. #8berky2020-02-17 06:34

    Agree with all above comments. Boom problems can be repaired if you have the ability in house otherwise costly. Want to restate that transmission issue can be super costly. You need to drive any unit you might be interested in. Try all gears and if possible have a load in the bucket. If there is a hill or incline see how it handles in those gears. High RPM and slow movement or sluggish there is a problem

  9. #9Armymutt2020-02-17 11:46

    Can you explain what you mean by this for the slow kid? I understand high RPMs for max HP, but what's the relationship between the boom extension and RPMs? What do you guys think about this Case 580 SL? I have a cousin who can check it out, though he's less knowledgeable than me. Figure I'd send him an inspection checklist. I know about checking for wetness around the cylinders, cylinder exterior damage, hose condition, tires, and function. Not sure what else to have him look for. I got screwed over when buying my 4500 - had a crack running between two of the cylinders. That was a $4k mistake. The wife won't accept another one. https://www.machinerytrader.com/lis...t/for-sale/190441863/1999-case-580sl?CTRY=usa

  10. #10Willie B2020-02-17 14:03

    An extend a hoe adds 2050 LBS (in the Case 580K for example) to the weight of the whole tractor. You add that much weight to a dog's tail, the tail starts to wag the dog. Every motion of the boom tosses the whole tractor around. You tend to run the engine a bit slower so it thrashes less. A turbo needs RPM to get ample boost. It makes the machine even more jumpy. As for 580SL it is a great machine. A better loader you won't find. If the hoe is as jumpy as the 580K, (I don't know), you might not easily get used to it. I prefer the joystick control over the traditional Case three lever/foot swing.

  11. #11Armymutt2020-02-17 14:44

    Ok, that makes sense with the additional weight. I'm still not clear on how running the engine faster makes it more jumpy. The local 580K was sold already, and they inadvertently sold a 580EL to two different buyers. I was thinking about the joystick thing. My 4500 has 4 levers, including the swing. I'm not sure I could get that efficient at the joystick style as quickly, since I'm not on it every day. I played with one on the JD once and it wasn't pretty.

  12. #12Willie B2020-02-17 20:43

    I had run Cat & John Deere excavators on occasion before I owned a backhoe. When I bought my first backhoe, it was a Deere. Among old machines, there is nothing smoother than a Deere. I could as easy switch Cat or Deere pattern. I replaced my Case 580K with a near twin, close serial #s. The clean low hour machine was three lever with no extend a hoe. I could not get used to it. Swapped hoes & control systems before I sold the first tractor.

  13. #13Armymutt2020-03-10 21:19

    I'm trying to go see a Deere 310SG Turbo this weekend. Waiting for the guy to call me back. Anything I should look for in particular? Has 3500 hours. Looks clean - dealer maintained. Filters all have dates in the last year. Comes with a 4-in-1 bucket.

  14. #14Willie B2020-03-11 08:13

    John Deere, Case, & New Holland pattern is pretty intuitive to me. Left hand raise & lower the boom, move side to side to swing. Right hand does most of the digging, pull back to pull the dipper toward you, side to side is bucket. Cat is confusing how they decided to do it. Many newer machines have pattern changers anyway.

  15. #15Tinkerer2020-03-11 12:38

    After reading this thread there is no way I think anyone should ever look at a Ford. HeavyEquipmentForums

  16. #16Armymutt2020-03-22 21:15

    I ended up getting a JD 310SG Turbo. It arrived Friday and I got to play with it a bit this weekend. I love it. Ended up having to dig a ramp so we could load the 4500 on a trailer for the guy who bought it. I spent the afternoon moving dirt around to level my range. Still getting used to the controls. Haven't used the backhoe part much yet. The 4-in-1 loader is a great tool.