Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b Main boom weak

atnil ยท 2013-11-01 11:06

I have and old, maybe mid-70's, 580b. A couple of years ago I had to walk it out of the woods due to a busted tire and by the time I made it out the main boom would barely go up and would not hold when I let off the lever. My Dad and I decided that the cylinders both needed to be repacked and proceeded to remove them. We discovered that one of the cylinder tubes was bent and the cylinder head was about destroyed. We replaced the one and had the other repacked. We replaced the filter and some hoses and bled the system as best we could. Now all back together and we still have the same problem. The backhoe did sit for a couple of years between the initial problem and repair. Where do I go from here? This is a machine that we use on our property so we are not skilled at all. In other words, please explain it on a level a child could understand! :Banghead

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2013-11-01 15:14

    If all the other cylinders seem to have enough power then the pump is probably fine. You could block the boom up in the air, remove the "lift up" lines and cap them then let the weight back onto the boom and see if it settles or not, this would test the cylinders to see if they are leaking internally. Or you could tear apart the control valve guessing that it is leaking, hopefully there's some junk in the relief valve. Wait around a little, one of the Case experts will see this eventually...

  2. #2alrman2013-11-01 18:05

    Welcome to HEF atnil! Do you recall how much metal debris was in the cylinder when it was originally repaired? Chances are, there is some flakes of steel floating around the system & could have contaminated either the valve body; secondary reliefs; spool; the new cylinder. If your skills are limited you may need some help. I realise that is what you are asking for here, but you guys are the ones that actually have to the work & there is alot to check, & there is alot that you can do to to make the situation worse. You will need someone with some mechanical/hydraulic ability. Do you have a service manual? Tools to do the job?

  3. #3atnil2013-11-03 19:07

    Thanks Delmer and alrman, First of all let me say that I am completely new blogging or threading or whatever, so bear with me! Also alrman, I spent a few months Down Under in the early 90's and loved it. From Brisbane to Canberra and out as far as Moree and some other small towns. Absolutely loved it! If the USA doesn't get straight soon I may move my family there permanently! Delmer, I have not tried the blocking idea yet but I will. I'm not hopeful though, as it seems to be acting exactly the same as it did before the new cylinder and re-packing. alrman, I don't think there were a lot of metal shavings, the wide gasket-like band was completely worn down but not too much of the head itself. Anyway, if there were shavings I didn't see them. I already have word to someone with experience and hope to have them look at it soon. I just hate doing all that work for naught. If I may ask about another issue. Seems that the throttle doesn't want to work. The linkage all works fine from the pedal to the pump, but doesn't respond and stays at about half throttle. We, with the help of a mechanic friend, had to crack open some injectors to get the fuel flowing. While doing that I mistakenly unscrewed the bolt that has the needle like piece attached to it. I believe it goes through the spring in the pump. I didn't pull it out far...So did I screw something up? Thanks for the help.