I have a customer that brought in a Case 580B construction king and he has shuttle problems with it. It only goes into reverse. Here is what I have noticed without tearing into the unit. 1. The direction lever by the steering wheel does not activate right. Up is neutral, middle is reverse, and down is reverse 2. both reverses pull strong. It seems to me that the directional valve on top of the transmission would be causing this, but then I read about a spring that commonly fails on these transmissions which in turn burns up the clutches. How correct would this be for the symptoms it's having? I personally have a ** 304 with the shuttle and when my reverse went out, it was cheaper to buy a good used transmission than to replace the clutches. Is that the case with these 580B's? Thanks for any replies ahead of time.
I doubt you have 2 reverses; it's the regular reverse either not being able to shift it into drive, or the drive portion is not functioning. Probably no service manual on your end? If it were mine, I'd trace the shuttle linkage down to the tranny and start pulling that apart; should be a spool valve in a valve body that is moved to direct the oil to the appropriate clutch or moving a reverse gear. The spring you mention might be a return or neutral positioner; so the valve is centered in the valve body. At least pull apart the external controls you can get at without splitting the tractor or some other ordeal. If you get to that stage, first step is get the manual.
Hanks im no case mechanic here but i have worked on the ck and the b which are basically the same machine my neighbor has the b and his shift linkage is wore out pretty bad where the linkage hooks to the bracket that hooks to the shift spool you are referring to on the top of the torque tube his still works but you have to fuss with it.I would check for sloppy linkage it runs threw the steering column and also without the tractor running its tight but you can get your hand on the spool and shift it by hand you should be able to feel a detent for forward/neutral/and reverse.If so try shifting with lever and make sure spool moves as much as it did by hand.If it doesnt thats probably your problem and if it has a backhoe you could raise the rearend and shift the spool by hand with it running to see if you get forward just be careful doing this so it dont run you over that would suck.I will send a pic later of that bracket im referring to.Let us know what you find
I was wondering if someone would catch onto the joke about the "2 reverses" lol And that is correct, no manual for this machine. With the shifting handle, there is definite detents between the 3 positions. The linkage was my initial thought so I started looking at it. Looked ok, but I need to start digging deeper. the customer said a friend drove it to location, did what digging he had to do and then no forward. If there is no problem with the linkage, my guess is the friend got rough with it and maybe broke the spool. I just need to get working on it and find the problem. Was hoping to find someone that had the similar situation in the past. Thanks for the replies!, Dave
Does the trans pressure gauge on the dash work if so do you read pressure when in forward it should be about the same as when in reverse
It doesn't go into forward so can't read the pressure. With the gear shift lever, up is neutral, centered is reverse, and down is reverse. Took the control spool off and it looks good inside.