Hi all, I’ve got an old Case 580B with the G188d engine that came with my property, the previous owner said it used to run so I’ve been working through getting it back to work. I changed the oil & filters and required her and finally have her cranking but I can’t get her to run on her own (she’ll fire and run on ether) Following other threads on the foum I’ve checked for fuel flow to the inlet of the injection pump (good), checked the inlet screen (good) and tried to get flow through the return and injectors (no joy). Prior to screwing around any further I thought to pull the pump timing window and sadly it appears that the pump is not rotating… Im definitely not a mechanic (an electrician) but I am mechanical. Just looking for a little Help verifying my findings and helping understand the pump replacement process and where I can get one that isn’t at case prices! Pump video:
That line you are seeing will stay stationary. The left side will rotate and it has a timing line on it. If you will turn the engine by hand the left line will show up for you. Spinning the engine has it passing through where you can’t see it.
Remove the return line from the top cover.. Take the fitting out of the top cover.. u should be left with a hole in the tc. Loosen all the lines AT THE INJECTORS, or as many as u can reach.. you don’t have to take them off, just loosen a turn or two.. Now crank it.. fuel should flow out of the hole in the tc and fuel will start dripping and then squirting out of the loosened lines..(if it’s pumping) If that doesn’t happen, remove the top cover.. 3 flat head screws.. Google Stanadyne metering valve.. to get an idea of what you’re looking for.. MAKE SURE the mv is free and returning under it’s own spring force.. put the cover back on and try to start it.. watch the loosened lines for fuel.. If none of that works, the problem is deeper inside the pump and will have to come off. Good luck
Well, I tried priming again without any luck so I pulled the cap on the pump and found a gummed up linkage that I was able to get free’d up. After putting that back together and cranking it more times than I’d like I had fuel at one, then another, and then all 4 injectors. Tightened everything up and it runs! Now to deal with a fuel drip from one of the injector line joints and do a metric **** ton of cylinder seals :/ Thanks for your help so far guys! Anyone know how bad it is to replace the cylinder end cap seals??
Once you get the first done, they are easy peasy. Buy a good gland nut wrench and look up peening the cylinder. I broke down and bought a 16 dollar seal installer tool and will never do another seal by hand again. Buy good seals, so your not doing them again.