I have a 580B that recently i noticed some issues with the steering being "loose". Last week I was moving some dirt and all of a sudden I had no steering, by that I mean I could turn the steering wheel but the tires would not respond. I can turn the steering wheel all the way right and the tires turn, I turn it back to the left and the steering wheel just keeps turning with nothing happening at the wheels. Any help here would be appreciated
Piston may have come off in the cylinder
Thanks, I will check that in the morning, I already changed the power steering pump out
If mine gets low on steering oil it acts like that. You don't have control over it.
I am new to this forum and hope to learn more about my case 1974 580 B. cmo1702, would you post a description of what you had to do to remove/install the power steering pump? It looks real tight getting to the front bolts even if I remove the alternator first. Thanks. I can't turn the steering wheel unless I lift the front wheels with the bucket. When I changed the filter I found metal fragments around the filter so I figured it must be the pump. Thanks again.
Hi I wonder if someone can help me with my stirring problem with my case 580 b with a model 33 backhoe I bought this last fall nice old machine starts right up every time, I am rebuilding it and just bringing it back to life, I can usually figure things out specially with this foram and the Internet ( this foram is great ), but I am a little confused with this stirring fluid I top it up then few hours later it is drained I don't see fluid on the ground I don't see fluid in the radiator cause that is how it is cooled, I don't see any extra oil in the motor, can anyone tell where this oil is going?? Thanks in advance Just have to join this site I've been using this site for awhile now there are some great people on here sorry don't remember any names. Someone please help.
How much fluid have you put in? Maybe you haven't got all the air out of the system yet and it's still filling up. I didn't know they used the radiator for cooling the PS fluid but I don't have a B.
Yes you are right the steering is not cooled I was mistaken it's the shuttle tranny fluid that is cooled in the radiator. I have put at least triple the amount of the reservoir not sure how much the reservoir holds. I was told to use hydraulic 32 in the power steering, not sure if I'm useing proper oil? I ran it only a few hours so far when I got it last fall I ran it for few hours but I had issue with charging to high blew couple battery's, so I shut it down and repaired wiring, brakes and started peeling the old paint over the winter I just got the wiring finished and the brakes and checked fluids started it up ran it the whole morning with no issues except for power steering after running it all morning checked the power steering and it was down again it wasn't empty but it was way below the ad line??? There was no sign of oil anywhere not on the ground??? Very confused
Carlos, I have a CK, not a B but I think they are much the same. The hydraulic oil is fine for the steering, although I used TCH in mine last time. If its had a new filter, or been completely drained, it should take a few fill ups to get the system full. I just checked the lube chart and the operators instruction manual but they don't list capacity. Just run it a few minutes, make partial turns of the wheel, not full turns at first, shut off engine, refill, and repeat a few times. If there are no obvious leaks, you have to wonder where the oil is going unless the system was empty. A long shot, and unlikely is that the seal on the pump is passing oil into the front cover and crankcase. Is the engine oil level increasing? As I said, unlikely but worth eliminating by keeping an eye on the engine oil level as you fill the steering reservoir.
Thanks guys, I have been keeping an eye on all the fluids, motor oil is at the same level, right now repairing the radiator, wondering if I should take the power steering apart now that I have the radiator off? I don't know if the reservoir was completely empty, when I first got it it was full, estimate running time so far would be about mabe 30 hours. Can the power steering oil leak into the motor?
If it was leaking into the motor then the oil level in the motor would be rising. The fact that you had no steering makes me think you had air in the lines instead of fluid so maybe the fluid is just taking the place of the air. 3x the resivoir is probably still less than the capacity. I'd add more and keep an eye on the motor oil level just in case if you're worried. How's the steering working now?
Steering has always worked, I am keeping an eye on the motor oil level, Steering is working just fine actually it is very easy to turn, no resistance at all.
I had a look at my power steering pump while its out on the bench. I will say that its very unlikely that that steering fluid is transferring out through the seal into the engine oil. You are likely just dealing with air and the system filling up. Keep an eye on the level and see what happens after awhile. It may have worked with low oil levels but will be good when its all filled again. I couldn't find a spec for the volume to fill the system.
Thanks very much for that
I have a 1974 Case 580 with backhoe 2WD and it seems my steering runs off the hydraulic system thats in the frame of my machines front loader. i am having a similar issue. I blew a right side steering line that goes to the steering piston. Once replaced i have done the steering thing quite a few times, filling it moving steering and filling again. I had lost nearly 4 gallons of fluid. So it would appear the hose broke while i was walking it back to camp and lost the fluid on the way. Now comes my issue, I cant get it to steer when there is pressure on the front wheels. I can lift the front up with bucket and with the wheels off ground can get it to steer, so i used that method to work the air out. However it still will not steer, after filling hydraulic reservoir. Is there a method to bleeding the air out that i have not tried? i have even tried cracking the return line where all the steering lines come out and at the wheel piston. What am I missing? Thanks for any and all replies. Will check back, again Thanks from Maine.
Which model is your 580 ? Is it a 580C ?
580b CK
580B's steering system does not run off of the hydraulic system. They have a pump completely separate from the main hydraulic system. The reservoir holds 1 quart of TCH fluid.
My backhoe has the pump on top rear of the engine where the hoses come out and go to the steering cylinders. but there is no separate reservoir
The pump is enclosed in the reservoir. There is a replaceable filter in it.
My backhoe/tractor has what looks like a pump on rear top of engine and hoses go to steering cylinders. I can find no separate reservoir. my SN numbers on tag as follows: Model- 580B CK, SN- 8744695 its a 74 from what I have read. Where can i get a downloadable manual for it please. thank you for your help
The power steering pump is gear driven and mounted on the front of the motor RH side.
What is the part then where steering hoses come out of and go directly to cylinders? it is on the rear of engine on top. i am headed to camp this weekend and plan to photo it so I can better explain. I replaced a hose form that area that goes directly to right steering cylinder.
many thanks for the help. That is what i needed! You are a rock star sir!
I just want to apologize for hijacking the thread, it was not my intention.
Did you getr fixed ?
I did and thanks for the info! Much appreciated. My next spring project for her is the boom cylinder rebuild and new hoses for the backhoe