Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b Swing “loose” can move by hand

MotoheadGarage · 2024-07-15 07:00

As the title says, I can push my bucket side to side and swing the arm. The foot controls work but seem to bypass when not using. How do I figure out if it’s in the controls or the cylinders? I’ve spent a week searching online and found nothing about this.

Replies17
  1. #1Tinkerer2024-07-15 15:03

    Welcome to HEF, MG !, Engine running or shutdown ? Or both.

  2. #2Billrog2024-07-15 15:29

    On a 580B I'd pull the bottom off the control valves clean out the sludge and replace the 0 rings to start with.

  3. #3MotoheadGarage2024-07-16 02:59

    Both. It just flops from side to side. I don’t know if it’s an extremely bad piston seal or what.

  4. #4MotoheadGarage2024-07-16 03:00

    Could you give more info? I’m completely new to this equipment. Live long mechanic but don’t know much about hydraulics.

  5. #5Tinkerer2024-07-16 08:57

    If it swings that fast side to side I would suspect the swing cylinders are the problem. Not likely in 2 cylinders, but that is how a cylinder acts with a loose piston in it.

  6. #6MotoheadGarage2024-07-16 09:13

    I’m going to pull them apart tomorrow hopefully. I will definitely update as I find out. I hate it when people have issues and then never update what fixed it lol

  7. #7MotoheadGarage2024-07-16 11:30

    Y’all think a video of figuring out what is wrong would be a good idea?

  8. #8Tinkerer2024-07-16 15:16

    Videos cannot be posted on HEF if that is what you asking about. But, a video hosted on places like YouTube can be seen here by posting a link to it.

  9. #9MotoheadGarage2024-07-17 06:20

    Ok, I’ll do that.

  10. #10MotoheadGarage2024-07-19 00:05

    Well, no need for a video. One cylinder piston bolt had come loose. It wasn’t all the way off but about 1/2” backed off. At least it will all be rebuilt ‍♂️

  11. #11Tinkerer2024-07-19 07:56

    Don’t be surprised if the piston in the other cylinder becomes loose/off. It may have been worked on by the same person that didn’t tighten the one enough in your problem cylinder. Usually if one of them needs be resealed they both are resealed.

  12. #12MotoheadGarage2024-07-19 21:55

    Yeah, I am rebuilding them both. Idk how tight they need to be.

  13. #13Tinkerer2024-07-19 23:43

    From the service manual. Line #15.

  14. #14MotoheadGarage2024-07-20 02:09

    Thanks

  15. #15MotoheadGarage2024-08-01 10:10

    So I resealed and rebuilt the swing cylinders. The swing is better but still seems to not stop when I let up on controls. Goes like 2-3 feet pass where I try to stop it. Is there a way to adjust that out in the control block or something? Or is there air in the cylinder? I have about an hour of run time since rebuilding the cylinders.

  16. #16Tinkerer2024-08-01 14:54

    No adjustments for what you are describing. If there is air trapped, the swing would bounce back n forth when you let the control valve go to neutral. Did you get the hoses back on the way they were before you removed them ?

  17. #17MotoheadGarage2024-08-04 09:29

    I never removed the cylinders. I just pulled them apart, leaving the body on tractor.