Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B tries to move but just revs up no movement

Yakima · 2023-10-24 21:03

I have a fairly worn 580B. 74-76 year I believe. I’ve used this old girl for 25 years plus. engine runs great! the hydraulic cylinders all work really good. the machine tries to start moving but then stops. Same thing all gears. does the cylinder pump use the same pump for pressure to the trans? Im hoping it is, cause it’s right in the front under the radiator and is easier to get to. any idea why it won’t move?

Replies9
  1. #1Yakima2023-10-24 21:07

    I forgot to tell you that I’ve replaced the filter in front of the radiator and the one for the hydraulics on the right Side of the hoe in directly in front of the cab.

  2. #2franklin22023-10-25 11:01

    Do you have a shuttle shift? I have a 480c which may be a little later than yours, but I have the fwd/rev shuttle shift lever on the left side of the steering wheel, and the shuttle shift works like a small automatic transmission in a car or truck. It has a planetary gear system, a torque convertor, and a pump in front of the shuttle unit just like a auto trans does. If you do have the shuttle shift, there is a dipstick right in the same area in front of the cab where the hydraulic filter was. Just like a auto trans, check the fluid level with the tractor running. You can also drain the fluid from underneath, and then pull the very small bottom sump on the bottom of the shuttle unit, and clean the pickup screen. Something I found out recently, the torque convertor has a drain also if you want to get ALL the old fluid out. You can spin the engine around till the drain is on the bottom, and drain it also.

  3. #3Yakima2023-10-26 13:39

    Yes it’s a 4 speed with shuttle shift. I’ve filled both the trans under the steering column and the torque tube just in front of the seat. I loaned it out for a short while and he put #26 hydraulic fluid in both the transmission and the torque tube. I didn’t think it wou be that much of a problem. can that be an issue?

  4. #4Yakima2023-10-26 13:43

    I guess It was low when I loaned it to him. he thought that when the buckets were jerking he should put it in the trans. I later showed him where it goes in the front left side just below the windshield. some people just can’t make a phone call to me before taking it upon themselves to do something wrong. buh!!

  5. #5Glen Weldon2023-10-26 21:54

    I do believe that putting hydraulic fluid in the trans on this old girl is a problem. Supposed to have Case TCH or suitable. These machines are known for getting plugged pickup tube screens in the transmission. I have a 580B of the same era as yours and have had these same symptoms. It is possible that the hydraulic oil in the tranny (instead of TCH hytrans) could have damaged clutch material and chunks have fallen off. I'm not an expert by any means but I have researched the symptoms that you are having because I was having them also. If indeed the pickup tube is plugged (mine was) the only real way to fix it is to open up the plate on the top. I'm not sure if the transmission has to be removed to get to the pickup tube but the plate definitely has to come off. In my case, somebody drilled a hole in the torque tube casting in the approximate location of the pickup tube and threaded it with a 1/4 NPT. The idiots put a hole in the screen with a punch, then put a pipe plug back in. I opened the hole up and tapped a 3/4 NPT so I could pull out the debris. There were pieces of excess RTV in there and other debris that were plugging up the pickup tube. I laboriously took a couple of hours to pull out debris, add more oil to bring more debris to the hole. I did this until no more debris appeared. It moves now. Sometimes, as it heats up, the movement slows and sometimes it will even stop moving. My machine has been down for 3 years so I don't remember how often it slows and stops moving. I'm in the process of getting it usable again. In the next few weeks I should be able to test it out well. When I first bought the machine, knowing it had a movement problem, before I enlarged the casting hole, it would hardly move ever. The fluid was milky and I'm sure it wasn't the correct stuff. I changed the fluid, rand a few hours and changed it again. Now, even after sitting for 3 years, it's crystal clear and moves fairly well after cleaning out the debris. I wouldn't recommend putting holes in your torque tube. The only reason I did it is because I read that somebody else on one of the forums, possibly this one, put the hole in his to clean out the screen, plus the fact that somebody had already put one in but it was too small to be useful. I hope your clutches were not damaged by the hydraulic oil. The first thing I would do is change it and put in Case TCH or equivalent. I DO know that these shuttle shift hydrostatic units are very picky about fluid from everything I've read. Please keep the thread updated...

  6. #6Tinkerer2023-10-27 08:21

    All of the details along with pictures of drilling the clean-out hole is in this thread. Click here for details That is one of several different threads that have been posted by members that had good results locating and drilling the hole.

  7. #7Yakima2023-10-28 11:52

    Thank you Glenn! I actually have a mag drill that I can use to drill if it comes to that. I figure at this point in time, it’s a very worn old machine so drilling and making a plate to cover the hole. at least I can use it for a couple more years and I’ll have everything I need done. I’ve already R&Rd the shuttle valve, installed new filters, adjusted the clutch for proper operation. I’m not in the best health these days so splitting the tractor isn’t really an option for me at this point. I guess I just need to know where to drill the hole. if someone would tell me where to drill the hole I’ll be set. thank you Glenn!

  8. #8Yakima2023-10-28 11:54

    I see where the hole is supposed to be drilled. I couldn’t see it on my phone. Went to my tablet and bang, there it is! thanks again! matt

  9. #9Glen Weldon2023-10-28 13:01

    Tinkerer provided the actual thread with photos. Thanks Tinkerer!