Firstly the reason I'm thinking about adding one is because I need to put a temporary tank on this. Just to be clear I don't have a fueling issue, I have a rusty tank issue. The temporary tank has a draw straw so there won't be any gravity feeding. It will also be on the fender so not very high. I'm pretty sure I'll need a lift pump to get the fuel to the filters. I have a low pressure electric lift pump I'm going to use. I just want to make sure I won't be damaging the injection pump by doing this?
Your good.. just try to keep the pressure, no more than 10 psi.. Idk how u plan to wire it up or if ur gonna hot wire it.. but make sure it gets unplugged at the end of the day.. otherwise you’ll be changing the oil more often than necessary..(fuel in the oil)
Will do. Thanks.
I was just looking at my 480c. Did you know they have a small sump in the bottom of the tank with a drain cock? I didn't till recently. Just yesterday I tried draining it and nothing came out, so that is telling me it's pretty clogged up. When I get time and the fuel level is a little lower I think I am going to get a pan, and then try to unscrew the whole valve and see if I can unclog it. Looks like this is a decent design for combating sentiment and rust. I was wondering if you knew about this and maybe it would catch a lot of the rust with frequent draining.
I did in fact know about that. I had the same issue. Mine was so packed with rust and crud no fuel was getting to the fuel filters and the engine wouldn't start. I ran a rod up though it and alot of water came out. I'm not sure how that much water got in the tank. It was always capped. The tank is very rusty. Tractor is stored outside. So I reckon condensation and rusty tank allowed water infiltration. I rigged up a small tank just to see if the engine would start and it fired right up. That was a relief, as I was worried water may have made it into the pump. I have a larger tank from a skid loader I'm going to set on the fender until I can pull the tank.
Humid air entering the tank as the fuel level drops can put a lot of water vapor in it depending on the humidity.