Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580b Weak Swing

sfchovis ยท 2012-06-14 15:03

Hello, Sorry for all the threads but am really working the equipment and some issues have came up. On this 580b, the left and right swing is weak, when dragging it on the ground lightly to level, it runs out of power quickly. All other hydrualics seem normal. Any ideas. thanks Hovis

Replies10
  1. #1alrman2012-06-14 18:07

    Does the swing move if any other circuits are pressurised at relief pressure? Does the swing creep if the hoe is outstretched & in neutral position (hands off the levers) on the side of a hill?

  2. #2melben2012-06-14 18:50

    Is it a Case contrpl setup with foot swing? First thing I would check is spool travel in each direction. I have seen systems with enough wear that the spools are not activating the spools fully. If all the other systems seem to work at full power I would check that first. I would also verify the relief valve setting and get it to the top of spec. Often just looking at the swing pedals if so equipped will tell the tale, if they are laying to flat instead of having good uptilt that is most likely the problem, Most time linkage adjustments to the pedal linkage will get the swing back to power on foot swing machines. alrman has questions that need to be answered as the orings in the secondays and check poppets underneath the secondaries will cause interaction between the systems and loss of performance. mEl

  3. #3planecrazzzy2012-06-14 21:58

    Posting Permissions You may not post new threads You may post replies You may not post attachments You may not edit your posts OK , This is "Off Topic".... I bought a 580K.. Cab , 4X4 , Extend-a-hoe , 4 in 1 ( Yellow Death ) I joined this Forum... But it sez I can't post "New Threads".... Why ? Does this change later ??? . Gotta Fly... Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz

  4. #4willie592012-06-14 22:06

    Welcome to the forum planecrazzzy. You have to get in three posts to change you status from Probationary Member to Junior Member, then you'll have access to various forum features.

  5. #5planecrazzzy2012-06-15 05:50

    one more Thanks for the reply... I guess it cuts down on the spammers... At this stage , I have more questions than answers... After this , I'll need one more reply.... hmmm . Gotta Fly... PS Haven't been a "Jr" in YEARS... HA !

  6. #6sfchovis2012-06-15 10:38

    Ok, I was low on hydraulic fluid was one problem. The swing is a lot stronger. The only thing that's a little odd is when trying to raise the arm and pull the boom at the same time, it doesn't want to do it without a load. I think I have air in the line that needs worked out and there is a small leak under the front by the filter/lines and cooler. Haven't taken the front off to look yet. The bigger issue now is trying to find dipsticks for the transmission/torque converter. I believe they are under the floorboards so I'm going to remove them tonight. I understand that I should not use a 303 hy/tran universal oil but one made for wet brakes and clutches so I'm picking some of it up tonight. Should I add a little ATF. I know it's low because I can hear it. I have a service manual but not the operators...the service manual doesn't explain the locations of these check and fill points very well. thanks for your help. Hovis

  7. #7ijoker2012-06-17 16:05

    I wouldn't put ATF in the shuttle. It can be bad for the seals in the pump. So i've heard. ointhead Fill points for shuttle and manual transmissions are located fore and aft of the floor shifter. Dipsticks attached. My 580B has dry brakes. So the fluid is not an issue that way. Regular universal transmission hydralic fluid is fine for the shuttle. When it is cold out just let the machine warm up a few minutes. It'll be fine without adding ATF. Use the ATf in your diesel fuel. It helps with cold start ups. Speaking from the little experience i have. Joe

  8. #8sfchovis2012-06-18 09:10

    Thanks for all the fine info. Over the weekend, a O ring seal on the high pressure side of the hydraulic pump line blew out. Is this O ring a standard rubber ring. I really can't tell. Anyway, the backhoe seems to be really strong for a B model. Also, where is the best place to order parts? I have a hydraulic pressue gauge that needs replaced. It's the one that is mounted beside the filter. Or can I use a standard oil gauge? If so, what pressure band should it stay between. thanks again, I really rely upon the knowledge on this site while I'm starting out so please don't think you can get to detailed in the discriptions as I am pretty ignorant when it comes to earth moving equipment. Hovis

  9. #9melben2012-06-24 23:32

    The 580 B has a pump for the shuttle that hangs on the top plate internally. It has Orings where it is mounted to the cover but otherwise is a very simple pump with NO seals or internal wear rings or brass thrust plates. I will get in trouble with a lot of you but am going to recommend HY tran Ultra as the oil of choice for this and other Case power shuttle units. Some but not all off brands have some real issues with foaming and viscosity mismatches. I'm not sure about the B series or earlier 580's but the 530 used TCH which was superceded by HTU but the alternate oil was indeed ATF. I have grown up with these units, they are not fussy but respond well to a little TLC. Mel

  10. #10Farmer Bill982012-11-16 02:58

    I have a 436 cat with a similar weak hydrualic problem I have a 436 cat with a similar weak hydrualic problem but power returns when the extention arm is maxed out (or in) and is operating at relief pressure. What does that tell you? You mentioned it is why I ask.