Not sure how powerful this machine is - is there a specific weight limit it could pull/lift? Needing to know if it can pull a 750 gallon concrete septic tank. Afraid to try it so want to find out first. Thanks!
I'm not sure of the performance specs of you specific machine. But when you say "pull a septic tank" are you talking removing an old tank from a hole? I would guess your machine would not pick up a 750 concrete tank.
Yep, need to pull one out. It will be empty but still heavy. Thanks for reply.
I doubt a 580b'll pull it out whole, but you can always break it up. If you're not very careful, you will break it, anyway.
buddy of mine just got a new septic tank. installer just enlarged the hole ( he was getting a bigger tank ) with a big excavator and crushed the old tank and used it as bedding for the new one.
I have a 580B and I am with Mitch504, i don't think you will be able to pull it out in one piece.
A cubic yard of concrete weighs about 4000 lbs, that would be a solid block 3'x3'x3'. You would need to estimate the volume of concrete that was used to construct the septic tank you need to lift. According to these spec's the 580B will lift 4000lbs to full height http://www.tractordata.com/industrial-tractors/000/1/0/103-ji-case-580b.html
Yep, knew it was kinda heavy. My reason for asking it that we had someone who used it to attempt to pull it out (FULL of water) and it actually snapped one of the arms! Then later, the engine started making a horrible noise and as it turned out, it had thrown a rod and we had to spend over $5,000 to get it going. The person using it denied their actions caused it. They said it knows to stop when it's being over taxed.
Can't say for sure that operators (using that term reaaaaalllyyyy loosely) actions hammered the engine, but with all confidence I can say; any person who would attempt to lift a septic tank and it being full of water with a 580B does not even need to be near a piece of equipment, much less be in the seat.
Good Grief ! 750 gallons of water weighs (8.34 lbs per gallon) a little over 3 tons. And the tank would weigh about the same or even more depending on the way it was constructed. Then bring into the equation how much force it would take just to get the tank to be released from the ground it is sitting on. ointhead
hi dwink- just got a 580b myself-just toying with it in my backyard to get a feel for what its capable of too- better to start slow and easy just treat it like and old freind and go slw till you get to know its limitations-good luck- p.s. ive got flawless service manuals for 76 case 580b- original copies in perfect condition-good luck-
1000 gallon tanks that I use weigh around 10,000 lbs. It's going to take a whole lot of backhoe to pick that up. My 580sl will not do the job. Bust it up and clean it out would be your best bet. I see your from TN and my inspector always specs at least a 1000 gallon tank for everything. I would not attempt to pull it out whole with a 580b.
ignore this post