Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C

Dan Nunley ยท 2015-03-25 10:33

Case 580 C Backhoe Shuttle Wont work, Tractor will go in reverse slowly but not at all forward. I am changing oil and it calls for TSC oil. Is IH Hytran suitable, I do not see a filter, When I drained the oil it seemed to be clean. Only drained about 1.5 quarts? Any body have a sugestion?

Replies8
  1. #1Colt_Cowboy2015-03-25 16:07

    The bellvile (SP?) spring in the transmission has probably broken. Common problem in 580C's & D's. Last time I priced out the overhaul it was around $2,800. Of course for those more mechanically inclined and have more time, there are rebuild kits.

  2. #2alrman2015-03-25 20:00

    What Colt_Cowboy says is on the money. I recommend doing a stall test in Reverse before removal of the shuttle. If the engine dies right down, the torque convertor needs repair. This problem often causes the fwd pack to fail, as it overloads the clutch pack while using the loader. No sense doing half a job if the cause is not repaired. :drinkup

  3. #3Dan Nunley2015-03-26 07:51

    Does not stall in reverse. Reving motor and barely move backwards in 1st gear. Upper gears wont do anything! The wires on shuttle solinoid have never been connected and it keeps comming loose. I tighten and it seems to help for a few minutes.

  4. #4alrman2015-03-26 08:29

    The solenoid does need to be tightened to allow drive. If it has been loose for a long time the threads may be damaged. Take the solenoid off & clean the threads with some brake cleaner or loctite primer & re-install using loctite to help keep it tight. If that doesn't keep it tight you may need another solenoid & maybe a control valve to fix the problem. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with the shuttle.....

  5. #5jpeters2015-03-26 09:06

    These tranny`s are easy to rebuild in case you have to pull this one. Transtar out of San Antonio has most of the parts.

  6. #6Dan Nunley2015-03-26 14:36

    Phone # or Address to Transtar? Would someone have a parts breakdown for the shuttle to get parts? Will be trying to pull Shuttle and open up this weekend!

  7. #7jpeters2015-03-26 16:30

    Transtar 800) 289-1457 . Since your forward gear is out it`s possible the splines are stripped on the clutches. When I rebuilt mine the splines were just about gone. This comes from slamming f to r with full power on the throttle.

  8. #8jpeters2015-03-26 17:35

    Ok I called them and they need part numbers. What I did was get the part numbers from the case parts book online and gave Transtar the part numbers. Prices are better than Nueces Power in Victoria. I have a paper manual for this tractor that shows how to rebuild the unit if you want to use it.