Anyone know where I can get seals for this thing? And has anyone had trouble getting a replacement seal for what they have? I would hate to take the cylinders out, take them apart and take the old seals to a hydraulic shop just to find out they can't help me.
If they can't help you, then somebody else should be able to. I've never had any trouble taking in unknown seals/glands to get matched up. I HAVE had a couple of Deere kits mixed up, better to take it apart and bring in the gland/piston than trust the book.
Thanks! Good idea taking the gland and pistons with me. Will have to wait for the rain to stop and the ground to dry up a little. Sucks getting old...the machine too.
Dynahoe only made the main frame, the loader arms and the backhoe boom & stick. They assembled the components on these basic structure members. The hydraulic valves, front and rear were Hisko. The Hyd. Cylinders were Commercial Shearing, the engines were Detroit Diesel or John Deere. The transmissions in the 4 Wheel Drive Units were Alison or Funk. Rears and Axels were Eaton. Parts are not a problem. I would suggest you take the cylinders to any good hydraulic shop for service. I also recommend you buy a good hydraulic oil. I use D-A Lubricants Wear Guard II 46 (10w) ALL HYDRAULIC OIL IS NOT THE SAME, good oil has the correct additives to cause the seals to swell and prevent leaks.
Sounds simple enough. But after calling over a dozen hydraulic shop/suppliers you think they would have some kind of cross reference. I will get this machine running, I just wish there were more competent suppliers out there. I feel like this guy sometimes:Banghead But maybe that is just me, I tend to always go above and beyond the minimum requirements. As for the oil, I always buy quality stuff. Thanks for the suggestion! Thanks! Blue
Bucyrus-Erie may have made the Dynahoe, and it may not be the most common of machines, but I really doubt that the seals they used in the cylinders are something that any competent hydraulic shop supplier couldn't come up with. Just my thoughts.
I have done some of these cylinders, think they were for the bucket and stick. All of the seals were standard and if you really needed them could be overnighted to you by your supplier after they measure the grooves
Try Dave Laing at 908-337-4157 for parts, service and good advise, he is Mr. Dynahoe in the Northern NJ market
I wouldn't blame the vendors, it's not their fault that the seal information isn't widely available for them to look up. I deal in Japanese equipment, and as a for instance Morooka dumpers, the smallest part available listed in the parts book is the complete dump cylinder or track adjuster cylinder. There is literally no information from the factory and in fact they don't have it, as they buy the complete cylinders from a manufacturer. The seals are standard and readily available of course, you just have to open one up to get the measurements. Cheers, Lanway
Baum hydraulics. Available online and cheapest I've found.$30.-$40 per cylinder. They have all the seal kits for your machine. If you have a parts manual, tell them the kit # from the manual.
Praise the Lord!!! :notworthy Just what I was looking for! I have the Dynahoe parts manual and paid $150 for an operators manual. I will call Baum Monday:roll Thanks!
Maybe I got excited to soon. NO GO on the Dynahoe:crying They didn't have a cross reference for my part numbers. Back to the hyd shop...
Did you try Dave Laing?
I just bought kits for 3 cylinder kits from them last year. What model and year is yours?
I had the same problem with my 190 dinosor but a company Tri-power in warwick R.I. had no problem rebuilding them for me if you send the cyl. or the seals they will match them for you . there price was so good I had them reb uild them insted of doing .it my self.-give them a call 401-732-3390
I called him twice and left my number... He hasn't called me. I will try again. Its a 1900, 1983 I think. I would rather rebuild them myself. I used to make these things from raw material. As long as I can get the glands off I should be ok. And if the local hyd shop can't get me the parts I need I will try Tri-power. Thanks.
I did find out from Baum Hydraulics, an equipment company can not use a venders part number. They have to make up one of their own. So Dynahoe, Case or John Deere might use the same seal, they have to list their own part number. Hope that makes sense. My bad for slamming the competence of hydraulic shops
Sorry for the delayed response. I was away. I've had some made up at a local shop, mine charges $25.00 service charge just to ID the sizes. I found online was much cheaper. I regret not taking the effort of doing them myself. I don't have a spanner wrench that big and was told by most that a big pipe wrench and a torch will work but may also damage it. Let us know how you made out.
I just spoke to Dave Laing, he has the seal kits. 908-337-4157
If I wasn't dyslexic, I might actually get somewhere. Dialed 377 instead of 337. Good thing you listed the number again, otherwise I would just hit redial and get nowhere. But anyway I just talk with him. He said the 1900 might be a problem but to call back tomorrow with the Dynahoe part numbers. Thanks!!
He has the numbers now. Said it will take a few days but he will let me know either way.
Wow, I had to dig this thread up on page 18. A lot of conversing going on here. Been working with Dave Laing for a few months and in between other projects (exhaust, governor linkage, hydraulic pump issues and repairing an outrigger) I’m getting the cylinders rebuilt. There was only one original seal kit he could find and it was for the stabilizer. Which is now done From that he was able to put together more kits. I ordered two for the loader lift cylinders since they are the same size rod and bore. Dave said they could be different but I figured I would try it anyway. Turns out they are not exactly the same. Close, but there is a ware band for the rod that’s not in the stabilizer kit. Another thing that is really screwed up is the rod pressure seal. The seal itself is ok but according to Dave, Dynahoe had an idea of a floating seal. Talk about engineering blunders, this is definitely one of them. The groove is 5/8’’ wider than the seal, which allowed the seal move back and forth. When I took it apart the seal was cocked in the grove sideways which got blown apart from the hydraulic pressure. Maybe it worked for a little while when it was new but I can not imagine it lasting very long. I must have one of the earlier models because Dave said after they realized it wouldn’t work they added a spacer to fill in the gap. Guess I have to make my own. I ordered a 3” diameter acetal copolymer rod from McMaster that should do the trick #8497K493 . I can reuse the rod ware band and all the new seals and o-rings will fit. Today it’s two weeks later, the cylinders are rebuilt and installed with new hoses. It is so nice not spewing oil all over the place. But it’s not done yet… Only 3 cylinders to go, maybe 5. For sure the loader bucket and backhoe bucket. If I keep swimming, as Dave puts it, I’ll do the swing cylinders. 1 has a steady heave drip the other not as bad. For the rest of these cylinders, when I get them apart, I’ll take some measurements and give Dave a call. I could go to a local hydraulic shop but I figure if Dave can help out the next guy with a 1900 it’s worth the extra work. Besides, he’s known on this forum. And he knows some of sneaky tricks Dynahoe likes to pull.
Disassembly complete. Now I need to take some measurements and give Dave a call tomorrow. Once these are done, I can dig!
You don't lack for ambition, I'll say that for you! :notworthy
Ya, I’m not sure what’s up with me. I have a Jeep project that I haven’t touched in 3-4 years, an unfinished living room, kitchen, bath room… The list goes on. But the backhoe is coming along nice. I just ordered the seals and o-rings for the 5 cylinders from CRCSEALS.COM . I pieced a kit together for the glands only, the pistons look perfectly fine. I was talking with Dave Laing on the phone and he was more than happy with me buying them from somewhere else. He said there is just not enough of the 1900’s out there to keep these kits in stock. Plus the fact he has a 2 hour round trip drive to where he gets the parts. So he said any one else with a 1900, sorry your on you own. But he helped me out quit a bit with information on this machine and now I know the type of seals it uses. Long as I’m around I’ll help out the next lucky dog with what I know. And a lot of help from guys on this forum keep old machines running. I guess the next big thing is a barrel of hydraulic oil and change out the other fluids. Should be digging in no time.
2 down, 3 to go! Upon further inspection, the piston ware bands on the swing cylinder has some scratches in it but the seal looked good. And 1 cylinder bore has a small nick in it. Not sure when that happened, there was no raised metal from it, nice and smooth. Since I didn't hone the bore, the ware bands should be fine. Also the backhoe bucket piston seal looks a bit worn, but it should be ok. The swing cylinders are the hardest to R&R. Their heave and buried deep in the machine. The bucket cylinders should be a pice of cake.
Then there was one... Took longer than I thought getting the loader bucket cylinders together. But only put about 6 hours on them. A lot of time was spent cleaning the 3 foot long bores and the threads were pretty nasty on them and the glands. Then of all things, a grease fitting wouldn't pump grease. I originally had to beat the pin out with a sledge hammer, so the grease hole was packed full of rust. No big deal right, just put some heat on it and pump some grease threw. Not so lucky, Dynahoe put a second grease hole towards the rod about an inch. The hole in the bushing is 90* from the fitting. The other rod eye has a plug in it but not this one, after I headed it up real good I pumped in some grease and when it popped loose it shot hot grease in the air landing on my leg, arm and back. It was hot mostly on my leg, the rest was cooled threw the air. I screwed a bolt in the hole but hot grease would spray up threw the threads, so I put a jam nut on it thinking it would make the threads tight but NNNOOOO I had to put a gasket under the nut, then finally got grease threw! Maybe a long wright up on a stupid grease hole but I probably spent close to 2 hours on that pig. Stay tuned, I'm sure theres more to come...
Praise the Lord! No leaks!
Beauty... put some lipstick on that pig
LOL! Loosely translated from the original Lanway (Kinda like Hebrew only a lot less "chosen people" and much more "lost tribe") what I meant to say was: She deserves some fresh paint.
...but grafted in, now a son and heir to the throne. I kinda thought you meant paint. Maybe next year after I get my garage addition dug out... And built... Maybe 2 years... I'm already a year behind from fixing this machine. ...But all good things...