Hello all first post here I appreciate any feed back I can get.I acquired this backhoe about a year ago and it’s been great. I’ve noticed oil coming out of the manifold it just seeps very slowly while operating. Any advice on what I can do or what to look for? Thanks
Sure would be nice if that's just a valve stem seal on the exhaust valve, but no matter how you slice it, the head is probably gonna have to come off to remedy this issue, does the machine run well with no miss? How much is that beast smoking compared to when ya got it?
Machine runs good no misses hasn’t changed from when I got it I would say. But it is smoking more that is for sure. And ok I will get it off this weekend, any advice on how to start diagnosing once the head is off? Thanks for the help.
Hold on there Babalouie.. don't be tearing your machine apart just yet..You might want to investigate a little more..That diagnosis came from many years driving old worn out pickups when I was just a little shaver and when the valve stem seals went every time you fired up the beast you would smoke out the entire neighborhood because of oil leaking into the exhaust...Do you have any parts or service manuals so you can see the components that are involved in any kind of repairs that may be needed? The fact that your engine performance hasn't changed is a good thing..I think that the valve seals could be an issue, don't know where else that amount of oil could be coming from without affecting performance..Could also be a leaky injector nozzle but that photo looks pretty oily..I'm not sure about the 207's but you may be able to pressurize that cylinder and get the keepers off the valve spring and change the seal without pulling the head, I remember an old timer that used to fix old farm tractors telling me about this procedure... Hopefully some other seasoned Case techs that may have seen this issue before will add their expertise..
Ok will do! And I do have a parts manual and full service manual that came with it. As far as performance I’m not an expert but it sounds good and she’s no speed demon in first gear but I have some hills on my property it goes up fine. Blue smoke isn’t that noticeable at idle obviously when you accelerate it’s very noticeable and then once your moving you can still slightly see it. And it smokes the whole time I am using it. As far as where the oil is coming out of the manifold I should have mentioned it started at the top where it connects to the muffler at the first clamp at the top of the picture and started to run down the manifold and just so happened to run down that first exhaust outlet onto the engine block. Now I only use it here and there on weekends so this is several weekends for the oil to get to what it looks like in the picture I did not clean anything.
You could remove the exhaust manifold and see which cylinder the oil is coming from. Spot a flashlight in the port and see if oil is coating everywhere inside or trailing from above (valve stem). You can run that engine without the manifold and actually see which cylinder is the problem.
I'm betting it is not oil at all, I believe it is unburnt fuel caused by a injector, timing, or maybe a bad thermostat, does it use any a lot of oil in operation, this condition is generally called slobbering and many diesels do it, I definitely would not tear the engine down if it starts easily and runs good. I would be amazed if it is using enough oil to run it out the stack. 188s n 207s were my life for many years, put it to work and see if it dries up. Don't tear the head off till you have eliminated all the areas I mentioned.
Welcome to HEF, Dover Elevator !
Thanks for the help vetech63 I will check that out and see what I can find. And melben I did have to add some oil recently but I will continue to monitor it. I will check the things you mentioned and see what I find. Would the diesel slobber cause the blue smoke? Thanks for the knowledge and time. Keep everyone updated
Thanks Tinkerer!
Blue smoke is normal with any diesel that is slobbering. It usually has a rancid odor to it also.
Ok good to know. Thanks
I've seen the injectors cause this the carbon turns the unburned fuel black I'd get the injectors rebuilt before you burn a hole in a piston. In my opinion if you do 1 injector do them all.