Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

case 580C 3rd&4th gear slipping.

richbrz · 2026-04-13 09:44

Hi new to this equipment. My 580c slips in 3rd or 4th gear after running a while. Fluid is ok. What can I check. I have heard a complete fluid change can help. Anyone have this problem? Its a shuttle type. The manual says use TCH fluid. I assume that is hydraulic fluid? Correct ?

Replies20
  1. #1Billrog2026-04-13 12:06

    Drive up against something solid if it won't spin the tires in first it's most likely the torch converter.

  2. #2richbrz2026-04-13 12:08

    Ill try that. thank you.

  3. #3Welder Dave2026-04-13 18:14

    TCH fluid is not the same as standard hydraulic fluid. I would use Case TCH fluid from the dealer. Transmissions can be more finicky than hydraulic systems when it comes to oil. Also check if Case recommends a special additive for the trans. fluid. Some applications do but I don't know about a 580C. It might just need TCH fluid.

  4. #4Tinkerer2026-04-13 21:24

    OEM TCH is over $20.00 US a gallon. !!!! There are cheaper alternatives.

  5. #5richbrz2026-04-14 04:38

    thanks Dave. Case doesnt say much about their TCH oil. They do say to use it in the hyd sys. so I assumed regular hyd oil would work in the trans.

  6. #6richbrz2026-04-14 04:40

    Ouch. Yeah, it seems all the special fluids are costly now-a-days. Thanks

  7. #7Tinkerer2026-04-14 13:01

    I use a 10w-30 hydraulic oil from Tractor Supply. Warren Oil Co. is their supplier. I recently paid about $60.00 for a 5 gallon bucket.

  8. #8HATCHEQUIP2026-04-14 13:33

    Years ago dextron ATF is all we ran in them

  9. #9Tatersmt2026-04-14 14:12

    That's all I have ran in my 580c and have not had a problem.

  10. #10gggraham2026-04-14 15:00

    Specs right from Case for the 580C

  11. #11richbrz2026-04-14 18:05

    I have been using "traveler" from TS also. I only got my hoe last summer and have not run it a lot. I noticed when it gets warmed up sometimes it will slip in the higher gears. I check the oil level and its always good. I am thinking I need to replace the clutch discs.

  12. #12richbrz2026-04-14 18:22

    Thank you for that info my northern friend.

  13. #13richbrz2026-04-14 18:23

    Yeah,,, back when it was cheep. LOL

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2026-04-17 14:31

    Ain’t nothin cheap anymore. Be sure and use gear oil in transaxle though.

  15. #15richbrz2026-04-18 09:20

    Yeah, thats a given. Gear oil is about the least expensive stuff out there, next to water. LOL. Thanks for the reply.

  16. #16richbrz2026-04-23 21:00

    Whats the general opinion on "Broken Tractor" stuff? Anybody use their stuff? I think I am going to buy a master rebuild shuttle kit with a torque converter for my 580C. any opinions ? Their prices seem reasonable.

  17. #17Coy Lancaster2026-04-24 08:19

    They have good products and stand behind their stuff.

  18. #18richbrz2026-04-24 10:04

    thanks

  19. #19HATCHEQUIP2026-04-27 09:55

    Might give Joseph Industries a shot also

  20. #20Tinkerer2026-04-27 14:21

    I purchased new gears and bearings from Joseph Industries. Very high quality parts. They also have used and rebuilt parts too.