Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580c Aftermarket Master Cylinder Quality

dirtyoldhoe · 2025-06-27 13:37

In the process of rebuilding the brakes on this old hoe. Has anyone bought any of these cheapo Master & Slave cylinder combo's on amazon or ebay? 2 pairs of master and Slave cylinders are going for ~$105 total. Seems super cheap. The reviews are spotty. I see that Broker tractor has some for a little more money but I'm wondering if they're all coming from the same factory in China anyway. All the photos look the same. Also, I did find one from Dorman (link below) that comes up when I do a search for a 580c master cylinder. I know that someone on this forum found the flexible brake lines for $11 because they were the same ones as an old Ford (or something like that). Wondering if anyone is aware of something similar for the 580c. Seems like the 580c brakes look very similar to those from an old Jeep CJ. Amazon.com: Dorman M2796 Brake Master Cylinder Compatible with Select Models : Automotive Buy Dorman M2796 Brake Master Cylinder Compatible with Select Models: Hydraulic Parts - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases www.amazon.com PS- for anyone interested, the flexible brake lines are "Sunsong 2203082" hydraulic brake hoses on amazon. $12 each vs $35.

Replies7
  1. #1HoeHoeHoe2025-06-27 19:05

    They are all the same, I can confirm. Just did this last year. Bought cheap amazon ones, then returned and bought from Broken tractor both had same issue with the threaded 7/16 brake line not being tapped deep enough. I'll post pictures of how I did the aftermarket wheel cylinder plumbing to make the hoses easier to install and change. https://www.mytractorforum.com/threads/a-race-to-the-bottom.1398277/?post_id=12949212#post-12949212

  2. #2HoeHoeHoe2025-06-27 19:24

    Also the reason the masters fail is because the reservoir is not sealed like a car would be. The access hole directly above it let's water drip on the cap and get into the vent hole in the cap. I put a piece of aluminum trim over the masters to divert water.

  3. #3stinky642025-06-27 19:44

    Did mine in '17 got kit from reliable aftermarket parts both masters and slaves, 1/2 price of OEM, worked great, still holding strong. Personally won't buy anything Dorman unless absolutely last resort.

  4. #4dirtyoldhoe2025-06-27 19:55

    I saw the Reliable aftermarket parts for sale on Amazon. They all seem to be the same and don't have the best reviews. That's why I was hoping the same master cylinders are also used on some cars...and maybe I can find a better brand.

  5. #5HoeHoeHoe2025-06-27 20:08

    Unless your buying from case, I'd expect them to be all the same.

  6. #6HarleyHappy2025-06-28 08:41

    I take reviews on Amazon, with a grain of salt. Sometimes you can find a review with someone that wrote it that has knowledge of what they are doing. On something like MC’s, I expect more than half, have no clue as to what they are doing. Then you have the people that do reviews, just to bitch about something. Think a lot of it has to do with what you are looking for.

  7. #7HoeHoeHoe2025-07-05 17:58

    Looks like I used a different hose too , trying to find the part number.