I have a 1980 580c backhoe. I am having problems keeping it running. The backhoe starts right up without a problem and idles. When I increase the RPMs it running for about a minute and then start to lose power and shut off. If I wait a couples seconds it will start right up again instantly and run until I increase the throttle and then shut off again after I increase the throttle. It has the symptoms of it being starved for fuel. I changed the fuel filters, blew out the lines, drained the tank, and put fresh fuel in. I'm not sure if anyone else had this problem, or has any ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
is the tank venting? pull the cap and see if that solves the issue
Either it's not able to suck enough fuel, or the return is plugged. You can wait for the pumpguy to reply to see for sure what pump you have, or take off the fuel return fitting from the top if the injection pump and blow it out. If it's full of "coffee grounds" and it runs after it's cleaned out, then it's going to plug again and will run away on you eventually, needs a rebuild. If that's not the case, then back to the supply side.
I did run it will the fuel cap off and still the same. There is thick white smoke and before it stalls out it gets very thick almost likes it's being loading down with fuel. The fuel pump is a roosa.
Loosen the side cover on the inj. pump alittle & let the fuel drip/run out.. start the engine.. Does it stay running?? IF SO, tighten the side cover.. did it shut off? Depending on the pump mdl, {#'s off nameplate} it may or may not have a return check ball fitting on top of the pump, that the return line hooks to.. You can take that out & blow it out w/ air.. reinstall & try to start the engine..
I took the cover off a little and let fuel leak out. Started it and it ran great. Closed the cover and it started to lose power
I would give pumpguy the numbers off the pump for better help
The numbers off the pump are DBGFCC 431-64AJ Model# 2534029 A-15113 Roosa master
The 64AJ DOES have a return connector.. its the 1st fitting coming out of the top of the pump. Take it out & blow it out.. reinstall & give it a try.. IF it keeps getting clogged, the flex ring has come apart inside the pump.. time for a rebuild..
Took the top off saw the check valve. Blew air through it it. It was clean and didn't seem to have any thing clogging it. Put it back together ran longer but then started acting up again
I know a guy that can rebuild it too right pump guy
Try it again, only be more careful to see what comes out. Then send it to TPG.
check your air intake , may have a clogged filter
I;m gonna let that slide.. lol
Bertrr, I was going to post that very thing, I had a C at the shop that the intake hose would suck tight shut and shut it down, you beat me to it. Melben
I think your problem is in the fuel return valve on top of the injection pump. Remove the valve and punch the little plastic ball out and it should run fine. You will have to get pump repaired later though.
That ball is glass, had to do that to mine, and it should only be knocked out if you have to get the machine moved and have no other open fitting to put in place there. It also acts as a pressure regulator for the pump housing, so it shouldn't be run long with it removed or modified like that.
HEED RDC's advice.. you CAN knock the ball & spring out for a temp. fix.. BUT.. BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN if left un-repaired..
That's true more than likely the governor ring is going out.
It went out alright, then right out of the thing, and was upgraded with the metal one by thepumpguysc. Highly recommend him for anyone that doesn't have the time, tools or want to risk anything.