Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 John Deere 410 D Question

Peter_H ยท 2017-08-13 09:32

Does anyone know if there is an oil overflow tube or hose on this machine? I bought the machine last year and it had a small hydraulic leak on the front bucket, but that was it. This spring when I used it to do a small job, I checked all the fluid levels and it was low on engine oil according to the dipstick so I added 2 qts. of oil. Completed the small job and then I noticed I have oil leaking from the front right hand side of the engine. Its hard to see in there with the side cover on, but I'm thinking maybe I over filled it with oil and its blowing it out. I looked in the manual and the oil filter housing is on that side, and oil line that goes up to the turbo too. I just can't figure out why all of a sudden its leaking oil. My son in law works for a turf farm and they have a few john deere powered turf units and he said that if you overfill those they do that. I'm hoping that's all this issue is.

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2017-08-13 13:12

    No, there's a crankcase vent hose that's won't leak oil unless it's way over full, and/or there's a ton of blowby. See where the oil is coming from and then figure out what's wrong. Did it take the correct amount of oil to get to full on the dipstick when you changed the oil?

  2. #2Peter_H2017-08-13 18:56

    I did not change the oil. I parked the machine for the winter and in the spring before I first ran it, I checked the oil and it was down 2 quarts. All the other fluids were fine. The machine has a rebuilt engine with about 3000 hrs. on it.