Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C, backhoe attachment hook on end of frame has broken off?

MUGLY ยท 2013-05-11 00:03

Hello all! I am new to site and joining as an entry level mechanic who is new to the world of fixing equipment especially in remote parts of Alaska where equipment is truly run to death. I was sent out to fix a hook on the back of a CASE 580C which had broken off while the operator was digging through some of Alaska's finest ice/mud this winter. Anyways, I have since welded the hook back together but after reattaching the backhoe and seeing it move around, the whole unit seems to jump around and leave the frame hooks. The top is attached via a pin, to a bar which is pinned into the frame and this allows some movement, but something just looks wrong when the machine is in use. Should the entire attachment be moving so much? When the stabilizers are put down the backhoe leaves it's support frame hooks. I noticed the stabilizers could be pinned in one of two directions, one aiming them more towards towards the backhoe shovel and another closer to the rear tires. They have been in the pin leaving them closer to the rear tires and over the last 10 years or so, I think it has simply worn everything out. I noticed the stabilizer ram bushing are completely gone! Does anyone have any thoughts or have heard of this before? I tried looking up some videos but my internet is way to slow to allow that. I'm trying to figure out if these stabilizers have been in the wrong position all these years and or if maybe the operator isn't stabilizing the machine correctly during digging. Thoughts? Thank you in advance!

Replies14
  1. #1robin yates uk2013-05-11 03:42

    check to see if the hydraulics clamps which hold the digger frame to the machine are activated

  2. #2MUGLY2013-05-11 03:50

    Is there such a thing on this machine?I figured it only sits on the lower hooks and top supported from the inserted pins. I will check for this tomorrow, where would they be?

  3. #3robin yates uk2013-05-11 05:03

    the digger frame has to be attached by either hydraulics or bolted to the main frame.Personally speaking I much prefer the JCB as they seem much more advanced than the Case, good luck

  4. #4caterpillarmech2013-05-11 08:40

    Send us a picture if you can.

  5. #5Delmer2013-05-11 09:08

    Sounds pretty wore out to me. No, the backhoe should not move in relation to the tractor. That will hammer off your welded ear in no time. Must be a real peach to operate. If there is any way to tighten it up, either in the original design, or cobbled up, that's what should be done.

  6. #6sheepfoot2013-05-11 09:30

    The 580C came with two different tension rods, looking behind the rear tires at the backhoe upper frame, there is a pin that goes thru a link to hold the backhoe on, it has a tension rod that hooks to the lower frame above the hook you repaired and goes thru the top link with a nut on top. The first type had two nuts, one below the link and one above the link, loosen the lower nut and tighten the upper nut to around 170 ft lbs, tighten the lower nuts snug then tighten the top to 550 ft lbs. If the machine has a single self locking nut at the top on the tension rod, it is tightened to 200 ft lbs. Both must be checked and tightened several times until they remain tight. Also if the backhoe has been worked loose for a long time it may not tighten up due to the wear in the links and pins, all you can due is tighten and repair as needed to get the play out.

  7. #7stock2013-05-11 11:58

    I totally concur with Sheepsfoot; Robin I think this is a centre mount machine,With the ability to drop off the backhoe and install a weight to make it a yard loader...........

  8. #8MUGLY2013-05-11 16:28

    Thank you for all the replies, i think this hits the situation on the head. The first style of tension rod is the kind found on this machine, I'm out here with no torque wrench but i will see what can be done. I'm sure it is completely worn out but I will see if tightening them down helps out at all.

  9. #9stock2013-05-11 17:22

    You up there with them gold diggers of tele fame.. Mugly....................

  10. #10MUGLY2013-05-12 00:39

    No sir, not yet. Can anyone explain how those tension rod works? Seems so simple to look at but I don't understand the impact of the top and bottom bolts and their effects.

  11. #11stock2013-05-12 03:41

    http://partstore.casece.com/us/casepartstore/parts-search.html#epc::mr49912ag118856 Hope this helps.........

  12. #12alrman2013-05-12 05:56

    Your raising the bar level for assisting, with the fine artwork stock, unbelievable! :thumbsup

  13. #13MUGLY2013-05-12 12:45

    Thank you so much! As I hang around here, I will hopefully learn some of these great resources you have shown me. I'm flying home this morning but I am going to look over this case one more time. It is equipped with two nut type tension rods and when looking I didn't see anything that anchored it down to the frame. I'm guessing these brackets broke off long ago! To me it just looked like a bar with a nut on top and bottom which confused me, but with the bracket anchoring it into the frame this all makes much sense. Thank you so much for you help. Great first experience with this forum! Love finding helpful communities!

  14. #14stock2013-05-12 14:16

    Well your welcome and you will return the favour to someone in the future..............