Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1979 international 270a loader backhoe hydraulic issue

Robd ยท 2013-05-11 10:23

Thanks for any input.. I had a leak at steering module ( has five lines going to it) I removed steering wheel , removed top cap from module and found a bad seal at shaft also had 2 plugs with orings I thought I would replace while open. Ordered parts put them in started up unit and no steering and slow loader operation so I thought air in system so I tried to self purge air and operated all cylinders at idle and no luck I found that if I turn up rpm and operated loader the steering would work. I took the cap back of steering module and pulled plugs and found steel ball missing. Replaced ball ( found it lying in shop rag) and while putting together I pulled steering shaft up and took out of place after afew twist and turn it reinstalled back on spline. All back together start up hydralics work at low idle little crunching noise at high idle it gets ugly all sorts of banging and crunching tried to bleed out but the longer it runs the worst it gets.. Fluid level goes from normal at beginning to overfill when hot I believe because of a lot of air bubbles..not sure if something damage from ball missing or air related. I did run unit to have hyd psi to pop caps out so I'm sure air did enter.

Replies7
  1. #1Robd2013-05-11 13:21

    Any info would be helPful thanks

  2. #2Robd2013-05-11 21:03

    What would be the best way to try to bleed this out. It seems to be coming from the loader / steering

  3. #3sheepfoot2013-05-12 12:52

    Most of the steering sectors are timed, did you pull any of the inners apart? The star and drive has to be timed on most. Do you have a hyd filter on the trans before the rear axle under your lh foot sitting in the seat?.

  4. #4Robd2013-05-12 13:20

    "sheepfoot" like the name.. We just finished bottle feeding our lambs for 2 months tons of fun.. Anyway thanks for the response. When I took the top part off of the steering box I pulled the steering shaft out not realizing it was coming up with the top cap.. So yes that probably is not in its original position.. I did not take anything apart inside other than that ball and plugs to replace orings. If that shaft needs to be installed a certain to be timed I'm not sure how to do. I did order a service manual but won't get until next week..and not sure if it will be steering detailed. Would that timing affect the irratic loader operation and allow the air bubbles to enter fluid? Not sure about the filter I will take a look tomorrow

  5. #5Delmer2013-05-12 14:43

    Typically the steering is "prioritized" over the loader hydraulics, so if the steering is leaking, then the pressure won't be there for the hydraulics. The oil could be heating from internal leakage, and could be foaming more than it should if it was new. You have a bunch of issues going on, but fortunately there is one basic cause, so don't worry about the other issues until you straighten out the one you know is messed up. Sorry, no help with the steering.

  6. #6Robd2013-05-12 14:50

    Thanks for input. I hope the new manual gives info for setting steering timing as it seems that could be causing the whole concern

  7. #7Robd2013-05-15 14:52

    Well I found out this steering orbitol is not timed..but found out lint from a shop rag is enough to screw it up. I totally dismantled it cleaned excessively then blew out with air reassembled reinstalled and guess what? Same problem.