Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C backhoe control valve

Polymath · 2020-06-06 00:25

Hello again everyone, After getting my swing cylinder and boom cylinder repacked and back on the backhoe, hydraulic fluid filled up etc. I fired up the beast and moved the boom around trying to get fluid into the cylinders. After doing so, I noticed that the boom kept slowly slipping down toward the ground every time I pulled it up. I got to looking and three of the four spools are leaking out of the tops. They are the boom, dipper and bucket sections. I thought about trying to just remove the spools and replacing the o-rings, wiper,etc but got to thinking (even though this thing is said to weigh a lot) about just removing the whole assembly and rebuilding it all since I am already at it. What do you guys think?

Replies26
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2020-06-06 11:27

    You can remove the spools and replace O-rings with valve in machine, just a lot of lying on your back to get spools out. You can jack machine up with stabilizers to give you more room, be sure and put jack stands or blocks under it for safety. I think it's a bit easer to do this way unless you have leaks between valve sections then of course you will need to remove hoe from tractor. If you remove the backhoe block it so when you take pressure off of cylinders nothing bad happens.

  2. #2Polymath2020-06-07 02:34

    Hey thanks Coy. Maybe that is what I will do then. Block it and get to work. Do you just remove the spring cap at the bottom and they come out? Need to order the kits!

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2020-06-07 07:22

    Yes just unscrew spring caps and the spools will come out. I would also go ahead and replace the check valve O-rings while you're at it, they are located under the circuit relief valves in each section. They are a special neoprene O-ring that is only available at Case dealers, item 14 is the O-ring part# D33686, you'll need eight of them. BTW you can find all your parts at www.partstore.casece.com

  4. #4Polymath2020-06-07 20:33

    Thanks again Coy. From what I understand, it is better to replace these with Case OEM than any aftermarket so I will check out your link.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2020-06-07 22:01

    Get your part numbers there and call local dealer.

  6. #6old and slow2020-07-05 14:57

    On my 580D i could not see how to drop the spools out with valve in the machine. I think it is worth taking it out. Easier to pull apart on the bench, Do not mix up spools, the spool is a lap fit item. I like to clean it with mineral spirits, then set it in a cooler with ice. Put the new o'rings and back up ring in valve body. Then dip spool in oil and put it in. The little time on ice makes it slip in easy.

  7. #7DarrenS142021-01-20 12:09

    I'm getting ready to do this as I have a leaky spool too. It doesn't seem to easy to do on the machine. Would be nice to do them all at once too.

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-01-20 12:16

    Take a lot of photos every step of the way as you dismantle it.

  9. #9stinky642021-01-20 14:30

    Darren, I don't know if you've got a C or D, but I got the backhoe control valve off my C for full rebuild without removing the backhoe, that sucker is pretty heavy so make sure you support it well so you don't drop and damage the valve parts...Oh and your fingers will appreciate it too...FYI when mine was rebuilt,did all sections and spools, got all O-rings and parts from the dealer, cost damn near $300

  10. #10outlawspeeder2021-01-20 20:55

    When you pull these, can you post photos? Also a warning. You might want to lower the hoe and out riggers? I would only set the out riggers on the ground, not to hold up the hoe. The outriggers have check valves. If anyone knows better please add to this.

  11. #11stinky642021-01-21 01:45

    It's a no brainer, you want to relieve pressure from all circuits which means setting the hoe(set off to the side to keep it out of your way) on the ground before you even disconnect a line..the stabilizers run off their own valve......

  12. #12Dan3592022-04-17 14:53

    Hey guys I'm a little late to the conversation but looking at that diagram is there 2 load check valves on each section? One from the top and one from the bottom? Or am I looking at that wrong. I have some issues going on with my 580e and was told those o rings are probably bad. Thanks for the help

  13. #13Coy Lancaster2022-04-18 09:29

    You’re not looking at it wrong there are two load checks in each section. The usual problems you see south bad load checks is when you bottom out one function another function will try to work.

  14. #14Dan3592022-04-18 09:44

    Thanks coy. Much appreciated. That's happening a little. The front bucket will curl back when I'm using the hoe. The other problem is if I'm moving the boom then try to move the stick at the same time the boom will stop then the stick moves or vise versa. Some said that could be from the oil getting around the o rings on the check valve.

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2022-04-18 14:53

    Yes that’s a good indication of that problem. When you said the front bucket curls back when using hoe, does that mean when you have pressure one it while digging?

  16. #16Dan3592022-04-18 16:49

    Yeah it will gradually start to curl while digging.

  17. #17stinky642022-04-19 10:13

    Is the front bucket actually curling or just losing hyd. pressure from a leaky cylinder seal or control valve?

  18. #18Coy Lancaster2022-04-19 22:10

    Like stinky64 said the front bucket is probably leaking down because of a cylinder or valve issue.

  19. #19Dan3592022-04-20 20:22

    It will actually curl. If I sit it flat on the ground then start to dig with the hoe, when I go to reposition the front bucket is curled up

  20. #20Kefrko2025-02-09 07:30

    This is an older post but I am looking to do this on my C and after looking at it kind of thought the same thing. I was reading that some do this in place but I can’t see how they could drop out of the bottom with enough clearance.

  21. #21Coy Lancaster2025-02-09 07:44

    If you’re going to do a full reseal then yes it is better to remove valve body. Be sure and mark all hoses. Also while you have it out replace the load check o-rings.

  22. #22outlawspeeder2025-02-09 11:20

    Photos, Tag lines, Pig mats, and crow foots... Been looking at mind too (580C) but adding one for a thumb.

  23. #23franklin22025-02-09 12:42

    I don't know if this was discussed before, but I need to pull the valve body on my 480c. It looks awful to get to, until I found out the whole backhoe part will detach from the tractor. I am wondering if this is the best way to get access? Seems like detaching it would give you plenty of access to unbolt it.

  24. #24Kefrko2025-02-09 13:29

    I think it’s just the load checks and the secondaries. Don’t really see any leaking between sections. Are they both on the same sections that come out from under the cup on the bottom?

  25. #25Kefrko2025-02-09 13:31

    I asked a question on FB 580 page and a guy on there suggested that although it sounds a little complicated to me. I’m sure once you get into it, it probably makes more sense but I’m kind of trying to avoid that

  26. #26HarleyHappy2025-02-10 08:16

    I watched a video of a guy dropping the hoe on a 580D and it looked pretty easy. I‘m reasonably certain my quick connects are probably pretty frozen with rust, I have seen them and every time I do, I shoot some PB blaster at them, when they stop moving. Lol It would make getting to the valve block and a whole bunch of other stuff, a lot easier. Might even tackle the swing and tower bushings, while the hoe was of. Damn thing would take a crap on me, with 5k pounds off the back.