Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C backhoe, hole in the block

Bobcat Crazy ยท 2022-01-01 21:43

Hi All, I was wondering if you could tell me what engine the 580C runs? And a little guidance on what it may be worth? It looks pretty good, has not been abused, brand new tires on the back. Thanks! B-Crazy

Replies17
  1. #1580bob2022-01-02 01:09

    engines are hard to find and some parts obsolete . not worth much especially when you cant run it to see all the other problems leave it where it lies

  2. #2Tinkerer2022-01-02 07:56

    If it is OEM it would be a 207 diesel. Your question is a little confusing for me. Do you want to know what a 580C that has a hole in the engine block is worth ? Or do you want to know what a replacement engine is worth ?

  3. #3Delmer2022-01-02 14:21

    That's the biggest issue, how well do you trust everything else was working before the engine died? or what other problems will develop while it's been sitting? The backhoe with a bad engine but clean would be $2k before covid, maybe $5k now?

  4. #4580bob2022-01-02 19:16

    not worth even 5k dont even think about it 207 parts are hard to find and what else is wrong with it

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-01-02 23:19

    BC; I think part of the answer to your question depends on the condition, age, and whether it has an enclosed ROPS. With an engine that has that kind of damage, probably makes it a good candidate for a parts machine. There is a decent looking 580D not far from me that has an asking price of $7000.00. And it has an open ROPS on it. That decreases the value in Illinois.

  6. #6rondig2022-01-03 00:05

    If one can't try the transmission and the engine has hole.... I would say it is not worth the trouble.

  7. #7Clawed Backster2022-01-03 06:58

    A 580D for $7,000? Around here, you will not find a functioning backhoe for twice that amount. Well, you might get something from the 1960's, but nothing of a modern design. Generally, running backhoes start around $15-20,000 here.

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-01-03 07:42

    It was sold over the weekend.

  9. #9Delmer2022-01-03 09:36

    Good buy from what I've seen lately. Don't expect to get a deal that good or you'll never buy a backhoe in this market.

  10. #10Bobcat Crazy2022-01-05 18:01

    Hey All!, Sorry I started this and dropped out on you! I have read through all of this and I have decided to hold off on the 580. The one I was looking at does not look as good as the one Tink has pictured above. And if one can be bought for anywhere close to $7K with a running engine I certainly don't want $5k in one with a bad block. I am pulling the spool valve off of my Case 1155D that I just built the engine in so I will start a thread on that hopefully tonight if any of you guys want to jump in on that with some advice. Thanks! B-Crazy

  11. #11Tinkerer2022-01-06 11:08

    I would rather buy that machine for say $4000.00 and then put another $3500.00 into it for a re-manufactured engine as opposed to paying 10 to 15 thousand for one that has somewhat tired motor in it. It is a different scenario for someone that does not have the capability's to do the work needed to do the engine swap. Those 207 engines and parts for them are available. If someone had the time and parts, a Cummins engine can be substituted for that Case engine. I remember reading on HEF that a couple of members had done it.

  12. #12580bob2022-01-06 17:27

    i doubt you can find a reman 207 for 3500 with no core more like 7500 and to put a cummins in 15k as power steering pump hyd pump rad etc has to be changed not worth done a few many years ago case made a kit and you still dont know what the rest of machine is like

  13. #13Bobcat Crazy2022-01-06 22:30

    Just looking and thinking. Pics of CASE 580C bad engine below. Nice new rear tires.

  14. #14franklin22022-01-08 07:52

    I knew someone who had a old Allis Chalmers WD that had a homemade patch on the side of the block. It was a piece of 16 gauge with a homemade rubber gasket and those old round head screws tapped into the block. That thing ran for years like that and is probably still running. Of course they went in and repaired the rod and piston.

  15. #15Bobcat Crazy2022-01-08 08:03

    Haha! Yes I'm sure that to the younger generation that sounds crazy, and to even most of the people on HEF. I have planned on doing something like that on damaged blocks that I have worked on before through out the years. However mine have always had too much damage or the hole was in a place that would have been impossible to get a good seal on. It would be crazy to know some of the things (just like this) that our grandparents did during the great depression to survive. And then I think of how blessed we are to live in a country of plenty. It has not always been this way! B-C

  16. #164x4ford2022-01-08 16:15

    Family friend had a v6 ranger that was used as a farm truck that only had five rods in it and a patch on the block where the sixth exited was used for years that way

  17. #17Clawed Backster2022-01-08 17:54

    I remember reading about an engine that bent a rod, so the owner removed the rod, piston, and pushrods for that cylinder. Had to put a hose clamp and a piece of inner tube around the rod journal on the crank to seal off the oil passage (if I remember correctly, it was many years ago that I read the story).