Hello evryone totally new to this amazing site, quick question. I just purchased a 1980 Case 580c backhoe and noticed there is a little button on the floor near the gas pedal, I have no manuals on the machine and was wondering what the little button is. I know it's not the Diff lock that button is all the way to the left near the brake pedals. I think, but am not possitive that it is a neutral switch that you depress when on the road to change gears because I looked under the machine and saw there was a rod connected to what looks like the transmission am I correct?? also the button is pushed down should there be a spring connected to allow it to go down and come back up, Thanks soooo much for any info
That is indeed a shuttle disconnect switch. There are 3 switches in this ckt. One on the dash s/b marked drive in one position, one on the right hand brake pedal, and the one on the floor. I'll email you more info.
I'll wait for the email to see if it answers all my questions so I don't ask any questions that don't need to be asked. Thanks again
Dapperdan, please ask as many questions as you can think of! I have a lot of the same questions. I just bought a 580C as well with no manuals. It's also my first loader/backhoe.
If you're sayin there is a rod that fastens to the transmission I'm sayin its the diff lock pedal, the button underneath the brake pedals is indeed a clutch disconnect. The disconnect could either be a rubber covered button or a updated version with a bracket, and a metal button with a spring loaded stem that goes down and trips a microswitch. The Diff lock rod goes to a shaft that comes out the front of a cover on the RH brake housing. I'd like to have a dollar for each one I have taken off in the last 40 years. Mel
Clunan, it is also my first backhoe well my "Own" backhoe, my father has a 1964 International that I have used for years but I was finally able to buy my own after searching for many years no joke, I would check Ebay, Craigslist etc. every day for years. I got a great deal on this machine and love it. I cant wait to get the manuals so I can service it, please ask me anything as I will try to answer any questions
now I'm confused, I thought the diff lock was the little button on the floor located on the left just under the left brake pedal, the other little button I was asking about is located to the right of the gear selector on the floor and that is the one that has a rod connected to it, but it is always depressed it dosen't return back up through the floor "should it have a spring connected to it"? what you said in the above reply totally makes sense Melben
Ok, just went outside with a flashlight Mel you are 100% correct the little button to the left under the brake is the netural disconect the one to the right is the diff lock, why have you taken so many off over the years?? is the diff lock supposed to be up out of the floor and spring activated? I can't wait to get the manuals so I don't have to ask so many dumb questions
the only dumb questions are the one's you don't ask tb
The diff lock is purely mechanical, no switches , solenoids, wires, fuses or whatever, just linkage. It is not uncommon for the round rod to freeze up where it pivots in the housing. I would remove the housing from the brake cover and inspect it all. If it were stuck down under normal circumstances the diff lock would be on all the time as there is a sliding collar in there that couples both sides together to lock the wheels together so I suspect there is another problem. It is not difficult to remove if you remember there is one Allen bolt recessed on the front of the cover. The clutch disconnect is an electrical solenoid mounted to the side of the power shuttle on the shift valve where the shifter rod hooks to the shuttle. When the button on the floor or the loader handle is pushed the shuttle is shifted into neutral so the loader can be raised at high throttle settings without power to the wheels. The dash switch disables the neutral feature for loader operations. I just read your recent post and I am editing the post I just put up. I have worked for the same Case dealer full time since 1962 without a layoff. The diff lock is on the front of the brake housing and is removed to service the brakes and I have done hundereds of sets over many years. The diff lock is a good setup but needs to be kept in repair just like anything mechanical. Mel
melben, I'm missing the lever and rod (#33 & #36 pg 216 of parts manual) Coleman says they are not available. Could you give me some measurments and possibly a picture of yours? I've replaced the springs etc, and everything else is there.
melben, your explanation is perfect I finally have all the buttons/levers figured out, quick question, should there be a spring on the diff lock rod? mine is not frozen, I can move it up and down freeley with my hand or is there something inside the housing that makes it come back up/return through the floor. Thanks again for all your help
Just joined this site... I'm going through this very same dance. Had a decent 580c project dropped off on Wednesday, came with nothing for manuals and I know zero about heavy equipment. Finally got it running and hydraulics operating, working on brakes and drivetrain now. My diff lock linkage (thank you all for letting me know what it was!) is just hanging loose in the floor, so i am also very interested in knowing what other linkage/springs might be missing to get this functional again.
Just thought I'd put a pic here to help, spring #11 - A35933 spring #16 - A36446 check roll pins are not broken as well. :drinkup
I do not have one of those machines but if you call Wengers at Myerstown Penna. with part numbers you can probably find used. They are a very large recycler of used parts and have both an Ag and CE division. They have a website where you can get their number. Mel Editing to let you know they have not only a website but if you go there you can do your own list and get a parts quote from them. Just look at the toolbar and follow it . Mel.
mel once again thank you, I was going to ask on this site about used parts I want to try to buy a used enclosed cab. alrman thanks for the picture I'm guessing I need a spring to make my Diff lock come back up. I don't think mine is broken because I can move it freely with my hand it's just that it won't relese or come back up through the floor once I depress it. Thanks guys much help