Having problems with a Case 580C with a mechanical shuttle shift. Started noticing that when I clutched it to shuttle between forward and reverse It would grind a little. Kept getting worse and finally wouldn't go in forward or reverse it just grinds. If I shut it off I can put it in gear and start it and it pulls fine whether I'm in forward or reverse. It just want stop when I clutch it. Haven't noticed any real big difference in clutch pedal pressure. I have tried to adjust the clutch pedal with no change. Thanks in advance for any help!
Check all your linkage pins and connected areas for wear to help with external adjustment. After that it's internal release bearing yoke fork, yoke to release bearing, release bearing, fingers on pressure plate worn, clutch pressure plate, clutch disc. You will most likely need a clutch job done to get some pedal and release action. You should have 1 1/2 to 2" free travel in your pedal from the top.
Thanks for your reply. Looks like I'm going to have to go into it. The linkages look good. My free travel is adjusted right. If it was yours would you replace the clutch, pressure plate and release bearing at a minimum while I was in it. What's your opinion of OEM vs. Aftermarket and what Aftermarket supplier have you had good luck with if you have went this route. Thanks
Do all the clutch pieces and have the flywheel resurfaced as well. You see any oil in the bell housing, rear main seal or tranny input seals leaking? Eyeball the splines on the input shaft, should be nice a straight without any wear on the splines, actually install the clutch disc on the input shaft before you assemble the clutch. Don't ask me how I know there is more than one spline size for a given application and if you get the big hole with the small shaft....
Don't forget to take a look at the starter teeth on the flywheel too while you're in there.
And look at the clutch disc to see if it says"this side toward engine or this side out" or whatever it might say. DAMHIK Joe H
I have used napa/case/and others. I would pull it down and see what you need, take care of the flywheel, starter ring gear, rear main seal and input shaft seal if needed like others have said. That component is a hefty mass so take your time and be safe pulling it, it's a toss to pull the engine or take the shuttle box, I would do the shuttle box myself.
Thanks for all the advice. I have seen a very small amount of oil coming from the bell housing cover so I'll probably need to go ahead and replace the rear main seal. I was wandering about the best way to pull it. Are you saying to pull the shuttle separately from the bell housing. Looks like it would be very heavy to pull both at once.
X2 what sheepfoot said -- remove the shuttle and leave the engine in it. If you are going to remove the flywheel I would suggest that you make a metal bracket that can be bolted to a couple of vacant clutch plate holes, you can hook a come-along or chainhoist on it. It will prevent a dropped flywheel hitting you or the floor and damaging the ring gear. Here is a link to the Case on-line parts book. http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49912ar749495