I have a 1979 case 580C Backhoe that is new to me and it dose not appear to have a 110Volt block or oil heater. I don't see any freeze plugs in the side of the block to use for a heater. I have a magnetic block heater that I used last year with a blanket wrapped around it. Can someone give me some suggestions for this issue. It has either injection for cold starts, but I thought I need to warm up the fluids first. thanks, Brian
Hi The Case block heater screws into the side of the engine block number 4 in the diagram. I bought one but was never able to remove the plug in the engine block. the link below shows it in the diagram http://www.colemanequip.com/Case-58...BEFORE-ENGINE-S-N-2850355-0qyj/?#partdiagrams Ron
Thanks Ron, I missed that. Found one on Ebay for $44, so I am going to check on replacing the old one. It is all smashed up and didn't think of it at a heater.
we had a case 580 ck that I put the block heater in and you could warm your hand on the valve cover in mid winter w/ it on. We dont leave it plugged in do to it pulling 900w. usually plug it in the nite before is plenty.
One trick to getting plugs out of the block or other places is if you have room to work drill a hole the same size as the recess in the plug. Say 3/8 or 1/2 inch. Then use a heating tip to heat the plug from the inside as much as you can. Then let it cool. When heating plug will want to expand but the block will not let it so when it cools it will shrink in just a bit. Then you would be surprised how easy it will back out. Just don't go crazy with the heat and damage anything inside like the liner seals.
With 900 watts an hour is plenty to warm it up. Leaving it on all night will only get it a little warmer than it will get in an hour, or half hour for that matter. If your battery is near the engine and you have side panels on, leaving it on all night might help warm the battery but you could get a battery warmer to do that too.
Another way to get it out is an 3/8 inch drive allen head socket in an impact wrench. Don't go crazy with high torque setting. If you want to do it by hand with a breaker bar try turning it alternately in and out. It will eventually come out. Be sure to clean the threads with a tap before installing the heater.