Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

best 12volt battery for case 580c (for cold weather starting)

schwarrm ยท 2014-11-13 22:45

Posted a thread a while back on a 580super k not starting good in cold weather. I have the 4cylinder cummings no glow plugs. I think the battery is part of the problem. Where is the best place to get a good battery? Also, how hard is it to hook 2 batteries together without getting 24volts?

Replies3
  1. #1joeblow2014-11-14 01:41

    There is a manifold heater on that little cummins.It sits on the top of the intake manifold with a wire going to it.Check the wire for 12 volts when key is on and engine cold. If you want to hook 2 batteries in parallel( 12 volts) then connect positive and positive together and negative and negative together . Try not to use ether(starting fluid ) on it as it will do a lot of damage.

  2. #2Tinkerer2014-11-14 07:44

    The best place to buy a battery for myself is where I can find one with the best price and warranty. I wouldn't think you would need to mount another battery box for a second battery. If the correct size battery in good condition is in the machine you should have enough power for starting. A 580SK requires a 31E size battery (950 CCA amps) if you do not have the cold start heater.

  3. #3melben2014-11-14 09:49

    The 580 C used the 207 CASE diesel and the starting aid for them was a manifold Ether injection setup with a remote bottle and valve assembly. The Case engines did not use an electric manifold heater in that time frame and not until much later in the CDC engines was a grid style heater with a timer circuit which allowed automatic preheat when the switch was turned on used. I did many mod programs to update the timer circuit on those. If I were you I would get the engine coolant heater that screws in the plug hole behind the fuel filter base. An engine so equipped will start instantly at any reasonable temperature and the engine will get good warm oil on moving parts quickly. I am a fan of the DEKA 1000 amp battery and with new heavy cables and preferably the ground cable ran right to a starter bolt. If not so equipped I would install the Nippondenso gear reduction starter. It is a far superior starting system. Also, the most important part is a charging system, a good Hi amp alternator is a must and the those engines needed the fan belt tension checked regularly as I have seen many with the belts so loose that the alternator pulley was slipping. Many you could turn the fan easily. If the belt is riding low in the pulleys and glazed it needs replaced. Mel