So I just bought a 580C with blown out differential (ring gear) and am making pretty good progress on the repair. I believe the thrust washer blew out maybe because of lack of lubrication, age, whatever, which in turn caused the ring gear blow out. The differential carrier looks a little rough where it contacts the left side thrust washer. The question I have is how long do you think the new thrust washer will last? Considering the option of having a machine shop clean it up and adding another thrust washer. Also I have a much newer Kubota which I would still use most of the time and actually only put about 50hrs a year on it. So for this excavator I don't plan on using it very often and if I could get away with just slapping it back together and having it hold together for a few years I would just take that route for now. I know this may be an unanswerable question, but I don't have any experience with this so opinions would be appreciated.
No replies yet.