Well it's been about a year and half since my fuel injection pump gave up the ghost. The backstory can be found here: HeavyEquipmentForums Anyway, I finally got around to rebuilding and reinstalling the pump. It ran great for about 10 minutes but when I went to shut it down, nothing happened. I loosened the clamp on the cable sheath and manually actuated the shut down lever but still nothing. Finally I turned the petcock on the fuel tank and starved it to get it to shut off. I also had some leaks on the injector lines so I tightened those up and thought I'd start it up again to check for leaks. Well now it only runs for a 30 seconds - 1 minute before the RPMs sink back down and it shuts itself off. So here are my thoughts currently but wanted to run them by other folks: 1) Engine shut off lever: The cam probably popped off the shaft and needs to be put back on. It felt kind of loose to me when I installed it so maybe I need to close it up a bit with a pair of pliers or something. 2) Engine can only run for 30 seconds: Seems like there a couple of things that might be going on (a) I didn't remove all of the return lines and flush them after the injection pump flex ring turned to mouse turds so I thought maybe that was plugged up. I removed the return line from the pump to remove backpressure that might be causing problems. No change in behavior, so probably not that? (b) Maybe starving it of fuel caused it to suck air into the system and now its vapor locked. I did bleed it at the filters and I would have thought vapor lock would just prevent it from running or cause it to run rough if there was air preventing some but not all of the injectors from getting fuel? (c) I've screwed something up when reassembling the pump and it's borked? Anything else I'm missing? What do you guys suggest for my next step? Thanks!
When it dies, if you walk away and come back in ten minutes, does it start right back up, or is it a procedure to try to bleed air out of everything before it starts? You have to remove the whole return fitting from the pump to check for plugging. The fitting can be plugged with the return line removed.
I can start it right back up almost immediately after it dies. It just runs for successively shorter and shorter periods. I did have the return fitting removed and thoroughly cleaned when I rebuilt the pump but I didn't clean the line with all the Ts going to the injectors. That's an easy thing to check, though. I'll pop the cover off and see if the cam / clip thing came loose on the shut off and I'll also spin the return valve off and blow it out.
All sorted. She's running like a champ now! Just had to pop the cam / clip thing back on and clean the check valve. Delmer called it; I had blown it clean with some solvent and compressed air but I guess there was still crud caught on the other side of the ball. Took about 10 minutes of careful cleaning with a pick, brush, and solvent to get it all cleared out properly. Thanks Delmer.
If u wanna get a new one, the p# is. 15830..