Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C Fuel problem! Any ideas?????

buggyman ยท 2011-07-31 12:30

I have a 1979 Case 580C that I have reconditioned and just added a manual thumb. It is in good shape and I took it out last week for some real work. I have found a small piece of trash in the fuel injector pump; there is a reservoir inside the pump where the return fuel line connects to. When using the front loader in rough areas there is a small piece of trash that blocks a check valve which screws into the top of the pump. The trash is heaver then the fuel and if I turn off the engine or let it die, the trash goes back into the pump, then I restart it, and it runs fine until it is blocked again. Using the hoe the trash does not move into the check ball and cause problems. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this trash out of the pump? Thanks for any ideas! Paul

Replies4
  1. #1Mikefromcny2011-07-31 23:36

    Sounds like the plastic governor retaining ring. Currently dealing with this on my 585c. http://ytforums.ytmag.com/ttforum/viewtopic.php?p=1933626&sid=033ff426f379de96bdda1897680cbd0b Very common thing.

  2. #2Ronsii2011-08-01 01:37

    This is a very common problem with 580's and quite a few other machines that use the same injector pumps it could be something else but usually the seals start to go bad and small fragments come off then when anything blocks the check ball of course it kills the engine with the over pressure safety if you can rig up a shop vac with a small extension hose 1/4 inch or so and go in and suck it out then refill it with clean diesel and do it again( use a squirt bottle) repeat a couple of times, also make sure the area around and above the injector is pristine clean, pressure wash it if you can before opening the pump. One other thing if you pump was seeping around the throttle control shaft this would be a good time to change the orings the case dealer doesn't list these as available but any good dealer should know what your after and be able to supply it... the guys at western power and equipment in auburn washington were always spot on when it comes to getting me the right parts.

  3. #3buggyman2011-08-01 17:06

    Thanks Mike and Ron I took off the cover, which is on with 3 machine screws. Cleaned out 10 - 15 small pc of black junk. It runs great with no problems. I'll see how long it lasts! Thanks again ))) Paul

  4. #4Mikefromcny2011-08-01 22:43

    Definetly do what you gotta do with the machine and get that pump off. The rivets can shear off and get run through the pump. A local pump rebuilder said you also wouldnt be able to shut the machine down without shutting off the fuel supply, (like at the shut off under the fuel tank).