Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C – Injector question

WadeC · 2025-08-01 17:20

Tried to order some Stanadyne 20673 injectors (thats the number on my originals), but was sent 20674 instead. Research seems to lead me to think they would be usable vs being down another week or so waiting to swap these out for the correct ones - but not worth $500 bucks to find out they dont work. Service manual shows the only difference is the 20674 has an .011" spray orifice where as the 20673 has .010" - all the other specs are the same (Spray angle, Sac hole Length, Sac hole size, and popoff pressure). The parts book shows the 20673 (I have the early serial # 207D - pre 286xxxx) but the service manual talks about more numbers than the parts book shows - which is interesting to me. Anyone have any direct knowledge on using the 20674 instead of the 20673? Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1Billrog2025-08-01 19:24

    I'd use them but I'm no mechanic.

  2. #2Vetech632025-08-01 20:43

    Your fine

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-08-03 00:50

    Looks like they ARE compatible..

  4. #4WadeC2025-08-04 09:42

    Thanks!!! Ends up the vendor wasn't comfortable with me running them, and is sending the correct ones I had ordered - and as it turns out, this weekend plans got completely changed up - so waiting til next weekend for the other injectors and finishing up next weekend turns out to be no problem at all. Just curious, if anyone doesnt mind explaining it to me, what would be the effective change caused by going with the 20674 injectors with the .001" larger spray orifice? Just potential to flow more fuel if the pump was turned up or capable of flowing more? Thanks again Wade

  5. #5thepumpguysc2025-08-05 09:23

    IDK, but I wouldn’t think there would be any problem..?? Looking around the web, they say they are compatible with your old number.. IN SETS..

  6. #6WadeC2025-08-05 09:58

    Yeah, I wouldnt dare replace only one without a matching number... heck, given the age, and the guy that tested the originals said they would run, but they arent in great shape - I dont think I would replace just one even with the same number. Figured a set or nothing. And a little chicken to try the cheap injectors on ebay and amazon. My suspicion is that the 20674 would have been fine (couldnt even get much usable info out of Stanadyne themselves) but since plans changed around here last week, and I went from "I need this sucker running this weekend to, "well, Im not going to be doing anything til at least next weekend" - I lost my rush for having it back together. And that bought me the time for letting the vendor send the part number I have/ordered and remove all question. Thanks again!