Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thank Goodness For Salvage Yards

Tinkerer · 2025-07-31 20:27

All I needed was a replacement spring and poppet for a load check valve in a backhoe stabilizer section. Case (CNH) discontinued selling them more years ago than I want to think about. I got lucky and was able to find, and purchase a complete control valve with a guarantee from a salvage yard. Dam thing weighs 155 lbs. It is (was) bolted in with cap screws. I put all-thread in two of the bolt holes so I could slide the valve into position on them. After I got 2 cap screws tightened down I cut the all-thread off and put nuts on them for a permanent install.

Replies24
  1. #1westerner2025-08-01 22:01

    That's a job. Do you have the 12 point crow's foot line wrenches? I'm getting too old to convince myself I need 'em.

  2. #2Tinkerer2025-08-01 22:38

    Yes, I do Right now I’m waiting for Amazon to deliver a one and 7/8 inch regular Crowsfoot wrench for one of the fittings on the valve body. You’re never too old to convince yourself to buy new tools I’m 83 and still buying new tools. One thing in life, you can never have is too many tools and guns.

  3. #3Legdoc2025-08-02 00:50

    One never has enough tools, machines, and guns! Don't forget the ammo, night vision and thermal goodies!

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-08-02 08:04

    I pity my wife, after I’m gone.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2025-08-02 21:44

    Give her my phone number i always have new tool room tell her you have about 500 im all your tools

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-08-03 00:13

    Very impressive! Odd arrangement of controls with the both stabilizers on the same side. How to do like the 3 controls and foot swing compared to wobble sticks?

  7. #7Swetz2025-08-03 08:25

    My problem is not convincing myself, that's easy....It is the boss (read wife) that is a toughie!

  8. #8Tinkerer2025-08-03 15:20

    Hi Dave ! Both stabilizer controls on the same side are quiet handy. I can raise and lower them at the same time with one hand. The foot swing is equally handy. I spent a fair amount of time running Caterpillar track-hoes and I don't think wobble sticks are any better than the old Case controls with the foot swing.

  9. #9Welder Dave2025-08-03 20:30

    You'd make a good dragline operator. They have foot swing.

  10. #10Tyler d4c2025-08-04 05:47

    I always figured thats why case did that to attract the crane opps

  11. #11Willie B2025-08-04 07:15

    I hated foot swing! Case 580K is notorious for too fast swing anyway. Mine had no back on the pedal. Seemed too much effort to make it swing, then too much effort other foot to make it stop. I converted mine to joystick.

  12. #12Tinkerer2025-08-05 09:38

    Not all Case foot swing speeds are the same. The foot swing in the 680's is whole different set-up than a 580K. They do not have a sequence valve like the K's. I rarely ever have a need to have the engine RPM's much above an idle, because it has a adequate backhoe power and speed at low RPM's.

  13. #13Welder Dave2025-08-05 17:00

    It must be pretty fast at full throttle if you were doing a big job?

  14. #14Willie B2025-08-05 19:57

    If I ever used full throttle, I was out in the middle of nowhere. Even then, hard to center on a ditch, harder to dump in a row. 580 Super N fixed the problem. 580K was bad. I had two. First was scarry in that I'd use multiple functions to slow the swing. I'd curl, scoop, hoist, while beginning to swing. As other functions finished, the swing had full flow of fluid, it'd take off like a rocket! Foot swing, I couldn't control swing. Joystick, I barely managed. Case addressed the problem with a sequence valve, bigger swing cylinders, flow restrictors. I banged trucks, smashed a hole in a wall.

  15. #15Welder Dave2025-08-06 04:06

    The biggest issue with hoe on my track loader is the joysticks have about 6" of play. Wobble sticks is an accurate description.Takes some getting used to and hard to move just a little bit especially with swing. It uses a rotary cylinder.

  16. #16Willie B2025-08-06 07:29

    Minor wear makes for a lot of slop in those mechanical valve controls. It's primitive machining. I overhauled the blade controls on my bulldozer, Just rectangular blocks with holes & pins. If I recall, it had 5/16" pins, I bored them to 3/8". Much nicer! I once had a John Deere 410 backhoe. Had to replace the six section backhoe valve with an aftermarket unit. The new sections were each 3/16" narrower. I had to fabricate a new rack for the sticks of welded steel instead of the cast iron original. No real machine tools needed beyond a big antique drill press.

  17. #17Welder Dave2025-08-06 17:44

    There are no bushings just holes in about 3/16" (or less) thick mild steel for the pins. There is plate on a hinge that can be flipped over the joysticks to prevent them from working. They just flop all over the place. Not too bad once you get used to them but small movements require a lot of concentration.

  18. #18Tinkerer2025-08-07 13:36

    Update; This thread would not exist but, my RH stabilizer would not hold the machine up. It was not because the cylinder piston rings were leaking. I know that because I removed the cylinder and then then replaced it with the LH cylinder that I knew was good. It also wouldn't hold a stationary position on the RH side. I was not aware that external load check valves even existed until I was going through a Case backhoe parts book and found that they installed them (check valves) in cylinder circuits when there was no check valve built into in some of the control valves they installed in model 33 backhoes. Commercial-Shearing control valves have load checks in them. That is what I have and repair parts for them are non-existent. I should have done more research about hydraulic cylinder load check valves before I bought the replacement control valve. I may be wrong (again), but I think I could have simply installed a pilot operated check valve between the defective backhoe control valve and the stabilizer cylinder. I was wondering if anyone has done such a thing.

  19. #19Willie B2025-08-07 13:53

    Now you mention it. My 580 Super N has a hammer circuit, a one way flow circuit. You can select from 4 flow ratings up to ?38? GPM. I really wanted a thumb. My plan was add an electrically operated valve to the top of the dipper. My son got involved & felt strongly it was best to use a diverter valve to select between the stabilizer and thumb. Stabilizer has a stop valve on the upper hose mounted to the under side of the frame, so it works fine. Raise the tractor, toggle the rocker switch, use the thumb. I can raise the tractor on stabilizers, it'll stay there indefinitely. Trouble is the thumb settles. In a couple days it'll settle full extension of the cylinder. Cylinder is new, & I disconnected the hoses at the couplers. It doesn't sag then. He installed an external port relief, I think that is what is wrong.

  20. #20Welder Dave2025-08-07 16:59

    Could you install a load check valve in the line? The ripper I put on the grader has a 2 way load check and cushion valve. The ripper will creep down when sitting but it's really slow like weeks or even month's except when it's pretty cold. Then it creeps faster which seems odd to me.

  21. #21Tinkerer2025-08-07 17:26

    Hi Dave! As you know load check valve blocks all flow of oil until pressure is applied to it from the control valve. Maybe the hydraulic cylinder is the culprit. Willie; I installed a manual diverter valve in one of my stabilizer circuits and the thumb works perfectly. I did not need to add a port relief valve anywhere. The relief valve in the stabilizer section of the control valve is all it needs. There is zero leak off when the thumb and bucket are clamping a load. An example is picking up concrete driveway slabs that the backhoe struggles to pick up. I would suggest that you have the same problem that this thread was originally about. That is----> I had/have a leaking load check valve in the stabilizer section of the backhoe control valve. Your port relief valve may be defective or it is out of adjustment. My bucket cylinder and thumb cylinder are the same size in diameter and rated for the same pressures. I have no need to add a port relief valve. I can clamp the bucket and thumb together with all the pressure the stabilizer valve has and nothing detrimental happens because the relief valve in the control (stabilizer) valve opens.

  22. #22Welder Dave2025-08-08 01:52

    I'm not worried about the ripper creeping down. It's weird it creeps faster when it's really cold. In the summer it will stay up for month's. The hydraulic valve I powered it with is an old snow wing solenoid valve that is really slow which kind of sucks but it still goes up and down so I can live with it. Another member with a Champion said his aux. hydraulics were really slow too. The valve was there and I found new solenoids for dirt cheap so it worked out OK. $9.20/ea.us for the solenoids equals $96cad. for 2 with duty and taxes. New from the independent Champion/Volvo specialists were $575cad. each! Parker distributer wanted $620 each!

  23. #23Willie B2025-08-08 07:15

    I don't believe I have a port relief in the stabilizer circuit. They need them in boom & crowd circuit. When you load the bucket, extend the Extend A Hoe, or roll out the crowd, pressure builds in boom cylinder far beyond relief pressure. 580K has a relief valve in the piston of boom cylinder. I believe the port relief valve we added is the culprit. I think it leaks through.

  24. #24Tinkerer2025-08-08 10:16

    Take the exit hose off of it and apply pressure to it that is below the maximum setting you have it set at. If is leaking, you will quickly see if it is allowing oil through it.