Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C instrument cluster is dead

Bradley Burke ยท 2021-10-15 14:49

I have a Case 580C vintage 1980 or there abouts. It sat for a couple of years because it need some serious engine work which was finally done last winter. The problem now is that the instrument cluster which has 4 gauges isn't showing any life. There are 4 gauges- water temp, voltage, fuel and oil temp which is actually the shuttle trans temp not the engine oil. None of them work. I've checked to make sure there are no broken wires and since they all don't have any response I'm thinking there may be a circuit breaker or a relay that may be to blame. The wiring diagram in the service manual show relays but I can't find anything that looks like a replaceable part. Behind the instrument cluster there are several small blocks with wires in and out but they have rivets holding them in place and don't look like there are any replaceable components that could be a breaker or a relay. Is anybody familiar with this machine who could provide some help?

Replies12
  1. #1nova4812021-10-15 15:06

    Hi and welcome Here's one on ebay and what it looks like. It's right behind the instrument panel. https://www.ebay.com/itm/114656088320

  2. #2nova4812021-10-15 15:33

    I should have explained there's a solenoid that energizes when the ignition key is turned on and feeds the instrument panel. That could be your problem. Ron

  3. #3Bradley Burke2021-10-17 08:40

    Thanks for the information. It turns out the instrument cluster is bad. I swapped out parts with another 580C. Any thoughts as to whether the instrument cluster can be repaired? It looks like a replacement would be hard to come by.

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-10-17 11:13

    Welcome to HEF, Bradley ! It can be a simple break in one of the copper ribbons on the circuit board. A long and tedious trace with an ohmmeter would find it if that is the problem. New and used circuit boards are are available from internet vendors. I would avoid a used one. Here is one vendor's offer. https://www.minnpar.com/product.asp...ductCode=550001&MachineType=&Model=&Category=

  5. #5Bradley Burke2021-10-17 12:57

    Thanks Tinkerer. A new circuit board will be the next thing to try. I'm frankly surprised that they are available. I wouldn't have thought to look for that myself. The best that I came up with was a used cluster for about $450. I completed a complete engine overhaul on this machine last spring and I would have to retire it for lack of working gauges.

  6. #6mekanik2021-10-17 13:08

    Can you post a picture of the circuit board from your cluster? Terry

  7. #7Bradley Burke2021-11-26 08:09

    Thanks Tinkerer, a new circuit board was the problem. Three of the four gauges are working. The fuel gauge still doesn't respond. I will have to see if I can find a break in the wire from the sender to the instrument panel.

  8. #8Bradley Burke2021-11-27 10:09

    I am tracking down the problem with the fuel gauge. The gauge itself seems to be working. I grounded the wire from the top of the sending unit and the needle on the gauge jumps to full. So i'm guessing that it is the sending unit that is faulty. Is there a more positive way to test the circuit to locate the problem? If it turns out to be the sending unit, is it removable without taking out the fuel tank. From reading blogs it looks like that might be the case and it involves dropping the engine and shuttle to accomplish the task. Any ideas?

  9. #9Dgreen42982021-11-27 12:39

    Not worth it if you ask me, just do what most people with old machines do, use a stick to see how much fuel you got

  10. #10Tinkerer2021-11-27 14:46

    You can cut the cross-member that goes over the sending unit and weld the piece back after the sender is replaced. If there is open location on the top of the tank cut a hole in it and relocate the sending unit (a new one).

  11. #11outlawspeeder2021-11-30 00:04

    Or I cut the filler neck, tilted the tank forward and the used a gas tank filler hose and two hose clamps to put it back. I also had to get my tank out to clean it. Prior owner parked it for ten years with bio diesel. It was like tar in the bottom two inches thick.

  12. #12shakaka2024-08-10 20:23

    Hi Tinkerer i saw a past conversation about a circuit board for a 580C would you still have info on where i could purchase one?