Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580C Injection Timing

volcanoman · 2021-10-15 18:22

Hi all. My first post here, so I hope it’s not rude to start off asking for advice. I have a 580C I got a few weeks ago. It sat for over 10 years the the previous owner paid someone to work on it to get it running. Everything this guy touched was botched badly. Long story short, I got it running. It takes several revolutions to get it started and it blows white smoke while running. Suspecting the pump timing, I got #1 to TDC and checked for pump timing marks at both 0 and 8 degrees. After running in circles, it turns out the pump timing marks align when #4 is is near TDC. Sounds like it’s 180* out. Need some advice on how best to correct it. If I get it back to 8* BTDC on #1, can I slide the pump back slightly and rotate the pump rotor through the window to get it back to correct position?? I’ve been reading about damage to the umbrella seals when pulling the pump. Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies6
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-10-15 23:13

    Pull the valve cover, get the engine on #1 compression stroke .. Look inside the pump window and the 2 lines should b aligned.. Look at the * marks on the flywheel for either 0* or 8*.. If the marks are aligning on another cyl. like u suspect, the only way a to change it is to pull the pump, turn the INSIDE OF THE PUMP w a long screwdriver..NOT BY BUMPING THE ENGINE. The problem with this is, u say a Jack-leg had his hands on it.. So u really don’t know if he took the pump apart and assembled it incorrectly to where the timing marks are showing up 180* out.?? If u have to take the pump off .. TIE THE THROTTLE BACK TO WIDE OPEN and DONT UNTIE IT UNTIL THE DRIVE SHAFT IS INSTALLED.. Use your finger and feel inside the tube for gouges., “IF” they’re deep, chances r the umbrella seal will flip. Nothing u can do about it but replace the tube and seals.. To figure out if the timing line is marked and installed correctly, look inside the tube... you’ll see a dot inside the pump, that dot will be at 7:00-8:00.. Now look at your drive shaft, that dot should line up w the one inside the pump.. DOT TO DOT.. If everything is now timed .. lube the tube and seals w Vasoline or engine oil.. B VERY CAREFUL NOT TO ROLL THE FRONT SEAL.. If u do, it’ll fill the crank case w fuel. Good luck and lemme know if you want me to look at the pump..

  2. #2volcanoman2021-10-16 08:40

    Just what I needed to know! Going to give it a whirl this morning.

  3. #3Delmer2021-10-16 09:58

    If it starts without ether in cool temps, and revs somewhat normally, and sounds like a normal diesel, then I'd adjust the timing slightly before trying to change it 180, regardless of what the timing marks say. But I've never seen an engine running 180 out, and can't find a video of one either, I just can't imagine it would start in only a few revolutions and not be obviously rougher than rough.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2021-10-16 10:38

    I have a local guy that putsm on 180* REGULARLY.. It pizzs me off to no end.!! I’ve seen it with my own eyes.. JD..& IH.. can’t remember a Case tho.. IF it did run 180* out, you’d know it.. harder than he!! to start and if/when it started it would smoke like a frt. train.. The problem u have is a big question mark on the pump.. U have no idea if ITS correct.. U could actually go thru the front to see if it’s correct.. Remove the nut and washer and look at the key.. It should be at 7:00 with the lines meeting in the window..

  5. #5volcanoman2021-10-17 11:52

    Got it timed dead nuts at 8 degrees and she just puffs a little white smoke now. No fuel through the return line, but spurts out at the injectors when I bleed them there. Can blow through the return line back to the tank and the elbow going in to the pump. I can’t even begin to describe the shoddy work that was done to this poor thing - from cut wiring to power steering hoses put on backwards to shuttle adjusted for forward and neutral only. Two of the casting plugs in the head were rotted out, so coolant poured directly into the oil pan when I filled the radiator. At this point, my best course of action is to send the pump off to thepumpguy for a rebuild while I concentrate on fixing the issues I’m more qualified for. just sent him an email. Here’s a little backhoe porn for y’all

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2021-10-17 21:43

    Case 207 engines in 580C's and D's time at "0" degrees. I'd adjust timing on pump by rotating it outward and see what happens.