Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C power shuttle problem

Enduro55 ยท 2014-07-27 21:20

I have a case 580C backhoe and when I put it in forward it works fine. When I place it in neutral it still goes forward. When I place it in reverse, it feels like it is locking the machine up. It will not move; it feels like it locks up the rear. I checked the linkage and solenoid cutout switch. I think it is in the powershuttle.... Anyone ever have this problem? Any thoughts? Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1sheepfoot2014-07-27 22:01

    I think your clutch spring is broken, you will have to remove the shuttle and pull it apart. It's not a bad job and lots of aftermarket parts out there.

  2. #2fishfighter2015-06-24 12:47

    This is the problem I'm having with my 580C. So, is it the clutch spring? Part number?

  3. #3Tinkerer2015-06-24 14:09

    http://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49912ag42698

  4. #4fishfighter2015-06-24 15:13

    Part #22? Product No: D50039 ?

  5. #5fishfighter2015-06-25 13:16

    Got it pulled. Sure enough it's the clutch spring. Broking in about 20 pieces. It even cracked a piece off the piston. Fixing to make some calls for parts. Thanks, I will get some pictures and post them later.

  6. #6sheepfoot2015-06-27 15:23

    Good to hear you found the problem, they do that over time. That F/R shuttle is used in many machines and boats. Lots of part suppliers out there.

  7. #7fishfighter2015-06-28 12:55

    Had order my parts thru Case. I don't want to have to pull it again. The clutch disk are not worn down. Looked good. I will be replaces a bunch of seals. I was having a good oil leak coming from the front seal for sure.

  8. #8fishfighter2015-07-06 17:23

    Got my parts in. Well, everything I though. Those snap rings, #5,13 and 21. Wished someone would of told me more about them. I would of reorder new ones. I had to past a stone on them. Guess they expanded some and when I pulled them, of course they got out of shape a little. Another problem I did see when putting it back together. The ball bearing, # 3. I didn't read far enough along in the shop manual that that is pressed down on the shaft. That was a fight and I did it the hard way by pulling everything apart 3 times. Dangit. One other problem. I have a snap ring that is about 3" across. I can't figure were it went. I look over the parts diagram and I yet to see were it is installed. Going to need big help on this one. I'm scratching my head. I know it is something easy, but it's not hooking up in my old mine. LOL

  9. #9fishfighter2015-07-07 13:12

    Figured it out. The snap ring that goes on top of the bearing. Man, I feel dumb. LOL Now getting that sucker back up in the hoe.

  10. #10TimmyB2015-10-01 12:53

    I'm having the exact same problem...What part # is it. does anyone have a diagram they can email me so I can get it apart? I have ordered the manual but wont get it till next week and want to get it out and torn down this weekend. Thanks!