Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C rear end problem?

fishfighter · 2016-10-12 14:22

On my 580C, when moving forward, I started hearing a popping noise coming from the rear end. It just started doing this a couple days ago. So, any idea at what I'm looking at? Got to try and find my shop manual. No telling were my dear wife hide it.:Banghead

Replies32
  1. #1xgiovannix122016-10-12 19:26

    remove the floor and pull the top cover to inspect the insides before further damage is done

  2. #2fishfighter2016-10-12 20:21

    That is my plan tomorrow. I did check the oil level which was good.

  3. #3Billrog2016-10-12 20:40

    When one of my hoes did that many years ago there were a few teeth missing on the crown gear (

  4. #4xgiovannix122016-10-12 20:45

    Just got done doing a ring and pinion on my 580c a couple months ago I have the manual online link if needed

  5. #5sheepfoot2016-10-12 21:10

    Drain the oil in the rear end, remove the rear cover plate and see what you have. It holds 5 gal of lube and easier to get to. Depending on what you see inside we can tell you the best way to go about fixing it. I mostly drop the trans/rear out since it only takes less than a hour and saves time when re shimming for correct adjustments.

  6. #6xgiovannix122016-10-12 21:30

    found that to be the best way as well. I used the backhoe to lift the machine up and push my self forward to expose the axle

  7. #7fishfighter2016-10-13 06:39

    Thanks guys. Really not looking forward of doing this, but it has to be done. I'm sure there are some teeth that are missing. The popping sound is not good. I will give y'all a report back later today.

  8. #8fishfighter2016-10-13 14:14

    After fixing a flat tire on the front, I moved the hoe to were I will be working on it. Took an hour just to wash the mud, remove the seat and floor plate. I drained it and then opened the top plate. Not a happy camper. So now I have to deal with this and I'm still looking for my manual. All other gears look good. No slack in anything. Any pointers as to were I can get these parts? One seal to the brake has been leaking, so I will be replacing both of them too!

  9. #9xgiovannix122016-10-13 15:00

    I got my ring and pinion from reliable aftermarket parts and all the seals bearings and races from case. Everything cost me about 1500 to 1800 in parts after replacing every single bearing race and seal. and I redid the brakes as well . here is the manual http://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/BAC...OMPRESSED).pdf

  10. #10fishfighter2016-10-13 15:23

    Did you have to change all hose parts? I'm looking at going the cheapest route that I can. I only use the hoe on my place. Never put it on a road. And thanks. Link not working.

  11. #11xgiovannix122016-10-13 15:42

    nope I changed them due to metal contamination in the bearings will take them out if not sooner then later . I hate to do things twice so I did what I did. Its like a cheap insurance I also changed the shims with new it was easier to adjust with new shims. PM me your email i will send you a copy of the manual Edit: I basically had no pinion left

  12. #12fishfighter2016-10-13 18:48

    Thanks again. Found my manual and started pulling things. Someone has been in this before, Reason I know is that one of the flat head screws is not there. I should have it apart tomorrow morning. I will inspect everything and go from there.

  13. #13xgiovannix122016-10-13 18:56

    are you pulling the axle?

  14. #14fishfighter2016-10-13 20:06

    I'm going to try and do it in place, but if I have to, I will. I will see once I get the ring gear section out and start mic parts.

  15. #15fishfighter2016-10-14 14:44

    As I thought someone was in it before and they didn't do it right. Instead of pulling the transaxle, I cheated. The cross member right over the transaxle, I had cut that sucker out. No problems pulling everything and cleaning. I will weld it back in place once I'm done. Now as to why the ring gear got ate up. In this picture, the bolts that bolt the ring gear in place, half of them were very loose and some of them were shear off. That is right out of the transaxle. No other problems on any of the gears and bearing. Done flushed it a couple times with diesel. The sump was clean besides pieces of metal. Time to start ordering parts.

  16. #16xgiovannix122016-10-14 20:22

    ouch man when installing the new one use red locktite and use the torque sequence the book says

  17. #17Plongson2016-10-15 09:01

    There is nothing worse than following a HACK mechanic. Some of the things I've followed up on over the years is amazing...and scary. GOOD LUCK with your project!

  18. #18xgiovannix122016-10-15 09:54

    Indeed. I like to do everything in the right procedure and to do the job right in the 1st place. Like i suggested to replace the bearings and races . Yea you might be able to get away with it but its just an insurance that everything is new.

  19. #19fishfighter2016-10-15 10:40

    Yep, they didn't use any locktite and I'm sure they did torque it.

  20. #20xgiovannix122016-10-20 19:40

    how did ya make out

  21. #21fishfighter2016-10-20 19:55

    Still waiting on parts.

  22. #22xgiovannix122016-10-20 20:02

    what did ya order just the ring and pinion ?

  23. #23fishfighter2016-10-21 06:29

    New seals, ring gear bolt kit and shims too! I will mount a big magnet in the sump with some epoxy for just in case if there is any metal floating around. I did flush it a few more times, and I'm sure everything is very clean.

  24. #24xgiovannix122016-10-21 08:07

    Thats what i did. I also changed the oil after a 100 hours after the repair just to be on the safe side

  25. #25fishfighter2016-10-25 08:45

    Just got a email from the place I ordered the gears. They now telling me they have them on back order. WTH after a week+ wait. No time table to get them in. I'm mad as hell. Cancel that order all together and will be shopping some place else.

  26. #26xgiovannix122016-10-25 09:42

    That sucks man. I never had trouble with reliable. There is another listing on ebay as well. Im sure i can find it when i get home from work

  27. #27Juskatla2016-10-25 11:49

    I have had great service from Dale Weiss at Tractorstuff. Give them a try for your parts. Tractorstuff is located in Indiana but ships all over the place. I am in Canada on the west coast and received some shipments in 5 days via USPS. Doesn't get better than that unless you go courier. I understand Coleman's is also reliable and reasonable for parts. You could try them for a comparison.

  28. #28fishfighter2016-12-20 06:41

    Just an update. The 580C has been working it's butt off with no problems.

  29. #29Grady2016-12-20 09:17

    Congratulations on getting it back in service. How did the repair go? Any problems? Hints? Where did you end up getting parts?

  30. #30PUMPKINMAN2019-07-20 07:37

    Heard a thumping noise in the rear end pulled the cover and had a couple of teeth missing on the pinion gear of my CASE580CK. Any recommendation to approach this job? Can you replace the 'ring and pinion' in place or do I have to pull transaxle? Also, does anyone have a link of the manual? What's the best place to order the parts?

  31. #31Coy Lancaster2019-07-20 08:19

    If it's a straight 580ck then you'll have to drop the backhoe off and split the machine to replace the ring gear and pinion.

  32. #32russellwallace2024-05-06 18:03

    Hello everyone new to the site excuse me if I’m on the wrong thread. I have the differential of my 580 C apart. This question may have been answered and if so I apologize and if so, maybe someone could direct me to the thread. I can’t seem to get, the rolling torque correct on the gear itself I can get the backlash on the ring and pinion correct but I have no shims in the right hand side, bearing carrier or brake plate. I would love to have someone’s phone number that could talk me through what I’m doing wrong .