So I've been trying to replace the leaking seals on the brakes. Thanks to all the helpful information on this forum I felt confident enough to tackle the job myself. I did the seals on the right side (diff lock side) and it went pretty smoothly. However the left side put up a fight! The entire housing was pretty full of oil but somehow the brake drum was still stuck to the hosing. Managed to pry that part off. Then had to give the drum a few whacks with a pry bar to get it loose. But the brake seal carrier plate put up more of a fight. I cannot get it to come off. After 30 minutes of pounding on it I got it to move maybe 1/8 inch. I eventually gave up and tried hammering it back in place but can't even do that. I'm sure I mangled the metal shims as well. So what are my options here? Any tricks to get this off? Should I keep trying to hammer it back in place and try and change the seal from the outside (if that's even possible)? PS- I know there is a "hidden" screw holding the housing on. Prior owner must have removed it because it wasn't installed.
Did you have the brake housing removed when trying to remove carrier assy? Dumb question but it's still there in picture. Do you have a repair or parts manual? If so give the picture a gander, only things holding the carrier plate on are the big o-ring(could be stuck in housing) and maybe the seal, is the head just broken off retaining screw or completely gone? Can you twist the plate left and right to loosen. You need to get that thing off, not just try to tighten or it'll probably leak like a sieve and your side gear/differential will be way outa wack causing major problems. Don't just try to torque it down or you may break the carrier or something else. Never mind the hammer, get a couple of small bars behind the strong part of the carrier (not the ears) and slowly pry it out. May be that o-ring is shot and rolling between the housing and carrier. Be careful and take your time it'll come off. MY $.02, good luck.
Thanks for the reply. Yes I did take The brake housing off first. The photo was taken after I gave up and tried to put it back on. If I remember correctly there were two bolts on top and 2 nuts over two studs on the bottom that I removed. There was also a recessed hole where the retaining screw was supposed to be but it wasn't there. I started off gently and then got more and more aggressive. Ended up going around the housing with a masonry chisel and a large hammer. I'm sure I banged up the metal shims pretty well. I was able to move the housing out about 1/8 inch. One thing I did notice is that the brake drum was tight up against the housing and was also stuck... But it was much easier to remove. If I remove the top plate is there a way to push it out from the inside? Also, I noticed there are metal shims on the left side but when I did the right there were no shims. Is that an issue?
Do you have the service manual ?
Yes I have a service manual and parts manual for the machine. Did the right side without a problem. Not sure what's hung up on the left. When I removed the brake housing about a quart of oil came out so I find it hard to believe it could be rust or corrosion. And since I was able to move it and little, I seriously doubt I forgot a bolt.
The plate would have 2 flat head screws holding it in place. Just checking you mention that the recessed screw was missing. Should be two of them.
Thanks. The machine is not near me at the moment but I thought I searched pretty well and if I remember correctly there were 2 bolts on top, 2 on the bottom, one recessed hole for the retaining screw, and a weep hole at the bottom. But I'll check again. Regardless, I've thrown in the towel! I found a diesel repair shop that said they'd work on it. Need to have the hoe transported an hour away but while it's there I can have them rebuild the injector pump and make some other repairs. Just hoping it doesn't cost me more what what this old hoe is worth!
More than it is worth? If you go to sell it you probably won't get a ton of money but to you it is worth it. These older machines are going to be running long after the newer all electronic machines are dead. So fix it, keep it in good condition and you can use it virtually forever.
May be two screws, but only 1 per side.
Sorry I stand corrected sorry for misinformation. From memory I was sure there were 2 screws per side. Mind you the last time I saw one of those was at least 15 years ago. I lose my gold star this week and have to sit beside the teaschers desk.
Hmmmmm, you don't say..........Brilliant.