Good afternoon, yesterday while running my 580c my shuttle shift transmission started acting up. Forward works fine, neutral on the column is now also forward, and reverse isn’t moving almost like the brakes are on. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this and have any input before I look into a new shuttle transmission. I played with some of the wiring which is a mess and am hoping it may be the root of the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to HEF @Brad_Alvord98 Unfortunately, the forward clutch pack is toasted due to a broken bellville washer/spring. This causes the pack to lock into forward with the broken bits of washer interlocking together, hence causing drive when in neutral & not driving anywhere in reverse. (fwd & rev engaged at same time) The power shuttle needs to be removed & rebuilt.
Do you have any recommendations on a company to get a rebuilt one from?
Case Rebuilt Power Shuttle with Torque Converter -- DCPS Revitalize your Case backhoe's performance with our rebuilt Power Shuttle Assembly, complete with a torque converter. Fits a variety of Case models. Free core shipping inside the continental US. www.brokentractor.com
So we had the exact same problem you describe with a 1976 580c with the 4-speed shuttle shift transmission. Put Lucas transmission fix in it and then forward barely worked but reverse started working. Neutral wasn't there. Got a rebuild kit from brokentractor, took apart the transmission and found this thing broken inside:
Good to know! I got pretty discouraged with mine and haven’t taken it apart yet. Any tips to pass on before I start rebuilding mine? Thanks in advance
Taking the thing out of the tractor is pretty easy, don't even need a transmission jack. My buddy who is doing the actual rebuilding (from watching videos and reading the service manual) said "never again" with the disassembly now almost complete, so you might consider just paying $3000 for a rebuilt transmission. He's saving $2500 but has been working on it during his time off for 2 weeks. There are lots of parts. On the other hand, I'm sure the sense of satisfaction that you'll get from doing it yourself (if it works) just can't be matched. Sorry I have nothing actually useful for you.
Get a service manual if you don't have one already.
Depends on mechanical ability and what your tool box contains. Removal, disassembly and cleaning one day. More cleaning, assembly and install 2nd day when I did mine. Did one for a neighbor same schedule. Split procedure both times because got visitors with really cold beer and thinking juice is not compatible with shuttle assy. Also need to pay attention to specific torques and tolorances. A clean well lit space is also a bonus.
Be sure and reference where your snap rings go.
Not sure where to post guess I will start here 580B 1972 I think hoe attachment #35 Valve part # G34897 have pressure gauge mounted get 23 to 2200 front and back but hoe slow and getting ghost movement on all backhoe functions andn lift rear of tractor with boom leaks back down pretty fast heard talk about check valves in the hoe valve ? where are they or are we actually talking about the indivdual pressure relief valves ? cleaning may fix ?
There are load check valves under each one of the circuit relief valves. Remove each circuit relief valve and then the load checks and replace the neoprene o-ring. And you need to use the correct o-ring.
Thanks ! I well dig in.