Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580C shuttle shift loose

Polymath · 2019-12-24 10:30

Hello everyone, Brand new here and new to heavy equipment. I bought a Case 580C backhoe a few months ago. Already had to pull two cylinders to get repacked and fix the right brake (actuating lever broke) so I am becoming familiar with it. Next thing I want to try to tackle is the shuttle shift. The lever is a bit loose and will not stay in place without me holding it. I took a look at the linkage below where it meets the transmission and there a few points I could tighten. My question is, has anyone else ever had this issue and if so, did adjusting the linkage fix it or was there more involved? Do you think changing the fluid and cleaning the screen might help as well? Thanks, Aaron

Replies43
  1. #1Vetech632019-12-24 11:43

    When you say the lever will not stay in place are you talking about the lever on the shuttle control? If so, there is a decent ball and spring in the case behind the lever and the lever itself has detents. You will need to remove the solenoid (de clutch) that is screwed to the shaft for access.

  2. #2Polymath2019-12-24 18:21

    The lever on the shuttle control yes. It is mounted beside the steering column and has a notch for neutral. If you push it forward it goes in reverse and pull it back for going forward. It stays easier when pulled back going forward as long as you are on level ground but when you push it forward to go in reverse, it tends to fall back toward neutral or forward due to the fact it is angled up like the steering wheel.

  3. #3Tinkerer2019-12-24 20:09

    Also check #6A for wear or breakage. Also #9 if the slot is worn out.

  4. #4Polymath2019-12-26 14:36

    Thank you Tinkerer. I will check those out.

  5. #5RDC_580C2020-01-01 11:18

    Sounds backwards, up should be forward. Maybe someone has also jacked the linkage up or turned the shaft (#20) around in there so it's facing right versus left. https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr49912ar793588

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-01-01 16:04

    Here is close up of the shaft that may be have been rotated 180° and installed incorrectly.

  7. #7Polymath2020-01-02 11:37

    Interesting observation guys. I was wondering whether it might be backwards or not. I was able to look at the linkage for the shuttle shift again yesterday and it is a bit different than the exploded view you guys graciously provided me. I was going to upload a picture but seems I need to upload it elsewhere and then post the URL here. What site do you guys use most to post pictures here?

  8. #8Polymath2020-01-02 11:39

    Looking at the next drawing provided I am wondering, is this the view from the top? I was looking at the bottom.

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-01-02 14:08

    You do not need to post a link to a photo hosting site. HEF has graciously provided a way to post them within the forums. Images I post are always shown as you see them in real life. To post an image click on upload file (blue pane) in the reply box. Locate your image wherever you have it stored. (I always save mine to my desktop.) It will upload in a few seconds. You can then choose to post it as a thumbnail or full sized image.

  10. #10Tinkerer2020-01-02 14:20

    Does your linkage look more like this ?? Posting the tractor serial number cuts down on confusion.

  11. #11Polymath2020-01-05 06:32

    Hey guys I apologize. I meant to post this sooner but have been busy with my wife's birthday. This is a photo of the underside of my backhoe and the shuttle shift linkage. I would love to be able to post a serial number but unfortunately the badge where it is supposed to be is faded.

  12. #12Tinkerer2020-01-05 10:20

    I think you need to have someone shift that thing repeatedly from forward to reverse while you look at the linkage and determine where it was changed to reverse the way it moves the valve. Somewhere there is a component installed backwards or upside down IMHO. Maybe #28 in the drawing.

  13. #13redranch2020-01-05 16:42
  14. #14redranch2020-01-05 16:47

    If im reading this right the shuttle lever in the cab is slipping down while going forward into neutral. I use to have a 580c that did that, this is kind of red neck but I took epoxy and kind of built up a little raise part on the lever so it wouldnt slide down, lasted for 10 years till i sold it.

  15. #15Coy Lancaster2020-01-05 21:11

    There is a detent ball and spring that holds the shuttle shift lever in place. The early ones were behind the shift lever bell crank in a drilled hole in shuttle housing. They had trouble with those because dirt would get in there and stick ball and not let it detent the lever. Case did an up grade and replace the cap on the other end of shuttle control valve and put the detent ball in the cap.

  16. #16Tinkerer2020-01-05 21:24

    In post #3 he said that when he pushes the shift lever forward the tractor goes into reverse. It is a separate issue (problem) from the lever staying in position. That is how I interpreted what he posted.

  17. #17Polymath2020-01-12 15:07

    Definitely sounds like two different issues guys. Let's tackle the first one. The shifter is loose and will not stay in place, especially when pushed forward (it slides backwards to neutral). If you think it is the detent ball and spring in the shuttle housing, would it be best to remove the shuttle from the bell housing to take it apart and check/repair? For the shifter possibly being backwards (I push the lever forward it goes in reverse, I pull the lever back and it goes forward), I do not really see a place I could reverse the motion of it except the cylinder that goes into the housing (I don't know what it is called. I have attached a picture which outlines all the linkage involved in yellow, a red arrow pointing to the ear where the link meets the shuttle and a blue arrow pointing to a nub sticking out on the housing below the cylinder. The only way I could see reversing the motion is to rotate that cylinder where the ear and link are below it and not above. However, that nub protruding from the housing would prevent that from occurring. Does anyone have a manual and/or repair manual for a 580C or do I need to buy one off the net? Thanks guys for your time.

  18. #18alrman2020-01-12 17:18

    Re your issue about the lever direction operation. I see that your pivot (#29) is upside down - the bracket should be pointing UP not down. Removing the linkages & turning the pivot 180 degrees will correct that part of the selection issue. Someone may have altered the adjustments to correct the lever positions & that may require some tweeking. There is no need to remove the shuttle to replace the detent spring & ball - simply remove the cut out solenoid & the lever plate will be able to be removed. Fit a new spring & ball - the drilling in the housing sometimes gets worn laterally - but you should be able to get reasonable function with a new spring. The lever plate maybe worn where detent ball runs across the three drillings - nothing some weld & a drill can't fix

  19. #19Polymath2020-01-20 03:09

    Checking in again. I did turn the pivot up as the diagram shows as well as adjust the links and the forward/reverse is still backwards. I wonder if there is something in the cutout solenoid where you can turn it 180° and make the shuttle shift right? Ran out of time today but didn't really see a way to take it apart and get to the detent ball and spring.

  20. #20melben2020-01-20 10:11

    The spool has just one flat on it so the spool can be only in one position in relation to the lever, the lever could be installed backward, Since all else is in order i am wondering if someone DOES have the lever on the spool backwards, have never run into this before but the direction is controlled by spool rotation, can you provide a picture of how the lever on the power shuttle is oriented, the solenoid screws off that valve spool which will allow removal of the lever and can usually be loosened by using a good sized punch and hammer and hitting the flat on the big thin nut on the solenoid, the spool will rotate 360, I would flip the lever over and try it, you can also service the detent ball and spring while the lever is off and if the lever is worn where the ball runs you could also correct that.

  21. #21alrman2020-01-20 17:26

    I'm wondering if the transaxle on this machine has been overhauled....... If the crownwheel has been fitted around the wrong way - which is how the 586 forklifts work - the machine will run the wrong way.....

  22. #22melben2020-01-20 21:37

    Excellent thought, , if the drive shaft rotates the same as the engine the problem is not in the shuttle, he should check that.

  23. #23Polymath2020-01-26 20:38

    Good evening gentlemen, Got some time to check out the shuttle shift again. I was able to remove the solenoid, lever, detent ball and spring. As you can see in the photo, the spring is clearly the issue. It broke into pieces and is very fragile. I actually had to use the magnet to remove the ball then some thin long nose needle nose pliers to get the spring out. Looking at the lever where the detent ball moves across it, doesn't appear to be worn. Just needs some cleaning up. The detent ball looks good too but I will go ahead and purchase another. The lever was actually positioned as the diagrams show it but either way, it would not change the forward/reverse direction of the shuttle shift control. I fear that alrman may be right about the crown wheel as there does not appear to be any other external visible explanation. I would hate to tear down the transaxle to find out but may at least see if the drive shaft rotation is the same as the engine as melben pointed out. You all have been a great help. I am wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram for the Case 580C. As you can see in the photo with the solenoid, the wire was cut off by one of the previous owners. As a matter of fact a lot of the wiring has been butchered. The wiring to the button on the floorboard has been cut as well. Thanks again everyone for your help.

  24. #24Polymath2020-01-27 17:36

    I have been intermittently searching online today for the detent ball and spring but not having much success. I called the local dealer here and the spring alone is $43 while the detent ball is only a little over $3. I began to be concerned though as the lady mentioned a service bulletin from Case where it was recommended a kit to move the lever to the right side of the shuttle be installed. I then remembered the kit on one of the stores online for sale: https://www.epsstore.com/index.php/d77621k.html So now I am wondering if that is something I should pursue and how in the world would the linkage transfer to the right side when the lever is on the left? Has anyone else seen this before and know why this would be recommended by Case?

  25. #25alrman2020-01-27 18:02

    The 580C was the only model that uses this type of detent set up. 580D;E;K had the detent on the other side of the shuttle control valve, which proved to be a longer lasting design. If you wanted to convert yours to the later style (shown below) you would need to purchase a different camplate #47 + endplate #49 + spring & ball & gasket - @$250 !! If I were you I would just go down to the local auto supply store & purchase a spring about the same size from a grab kit ($1.00) & continue to use the set up you already have

  26. #26Polymath2020-01-28 08:56

    Yes I agree. I don't think spending that much for the kit and then attempting the conversion is worth it. I actually saw a detent ball and spring pop up for a Borg T5 transmission and thought it looked similar....ha ha. I may well end up going and looking like you suggested. I have never seen a spring be so brittle before but then again I don't do this everyday.

  27. #27Tinkerer2020-01-28 10:02

    Here ya go Polymath ! https://www.minnpar.com/partbooks/C...MANUAL/Case 580CK Series C Service Manual.pdf

  28. #28Polymath2020-01-29 15:11

    WOW! Thank you very much Tinkerer! It was my birthday a couple days ago and this has to be the best one yet so definitely thank you again!

  29. #29Polymath2020-01-29 15:27

    Quick update guys, I just ordered a spring for $12 and detent ball for $2 from e-backhoeparts.com. I had to call to place the order the old fashion way but well worth the savings. Cheapest I found the spring otherwise was $27 with an average price around $40. Can't wait to get it and put it back together. In the meantime, will be perusing the service manual for other things to work on from Tinkerer! I need to grab another fuel cap, ignition switch and maybe have my rear tires looked at for obvious leaks as well.

  30. #30Tinkerer2020-01-29 17:18

    Dale's internet was off line for a day and he had over 200 emails waiting when the internet was restored. I also had to call him for some parts. That is how I found out what happened.

  31. #31Polymath2020-03-03 01:37

    Sorry guys, checking in again. I received my parts from Dale and installed them. The shuttle shift is working fine now and staying in place with exception to the fact it is still backwards. I will just live with it as I do not want to do a tear down of the transaxle if I do not have to. I have the right brake off now getting ready to replace the cylinder assembly. I had it off before because I broke the brake lever. Apparently it had broke prior to my ownership and someone did a poor job attempting to weld it. I had my dad weld it back together. Unfortunately when I put it on last I broke off the head of the bleeding screw so I am just going to replace the whole cylinder assembly. Guess we can close this thread now. Thank you guys so much for all your help!

  32. #32Vetech632020-03-03 07:21

    WHAT??!!!

  33. #33Jeffrey Zindash2021-05-17 08:58

    Is there a way to keep the solenoid from coming loose?

  34. #34Coy Lancaster2021-05-17 12:51

    Tighten it really tight with channel lock pliers.

  35. #35Jeffrey Zindash2021-05-17 14:38

    Will red locktight help ?

  36. #36Coy Lancaster2021-05-17 15:36

    Yes it will help.

  37. #37icecats2024-01-15 07:20

    Hey, I realize that this is an old thread but my question is relevant. Anyone know the approximate dimensions of the detent ball and spring? And approximately how stiff is the spring? I'd like to source these locally instead of ordering a $32 spring . Thanks!

  38. #38Vetech632024-01-15 08:37

    Its fairly stiff. May not be able to compress it much using your fingertips.

  39. #39mritter442024-04-06 10:43

    This photo dhows 6a installed 2 different ways i bought used and lever has no down pressure so slips out of gear. Which is correct

  40. #40Coy Lancaster2024-04-06 20:28

    The detent was moved to the cap end because of dirt getting into detent spring hole on lever end.

  41. #41icecats2024-06-22 09:07

    Hi all, I could never figure out what size detent spring was needed, so I ordered the proper $45 S47892 from Case. Here are the pictures and measurements to hopefully save someone some time and $$$. Something like this spring from McMaster-Carr would probably do the trick. The ball ( Case 86642304 ) is an 8 mm ball bearing. Spring: 1.26" length, 0.3" outer diameter, 0.4" wire diameter

  42. #42Vetech632024-06-22 13:32

    I hope that came with a jar of Vaseline.

  43. #43ADAM B PARK2025-09-02 00:11

    rotate the charge pump 180 degrees to match the arrow on the pump with the engine rotation.